400b help please

-

grean meany

Reaction score
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
I'm not knowledgeable but I'm trying here goes I have a 73 400 block it's supposed to be a 451 I had the pan off wish I would have taken more photos! It looks to me the crank shaft has been machined as you can see in the photos looks like stock rods ? .. the problem is the balancer is for a external balance 400 see photo as example.. I hope I'm wrong but seems to me it's a 451 built with a cut cast crank instead of 440 steel crank .. and is not a good thing to do ..if anyone can tell me anything at all from these photos it will help me what do you guys think I was told a cast crank has a thin line on it from being cast and a steel crank has a fatter line from being forged ? .. it does run good and makes decent power it will spank my 70GS455 Buick thanks

Definitely look like a forged crank, been balanced, piston not sure how made them but been balanced, same questions smooth running?

Definitely look like a forged crank, been balanced, piston not sure how made them but been balanced, same questions smooth running?
First thanks to you both for your insight it does have a little vibration at idle noticed this when I installed Polly lock motor mounts ...with stock mounts no unusual vibration . basically .. I was going to pay someone to build me a 470 or 512.. 400B based stroker.. I have a set a trick flow PowerPort 240 heads and the matching intake manifold from trick flow and fITech mean street efi .. and was afraid to install after a buddy of mine a Chevy guy pull the pan and said the balancer is dangerous garbage and the Pistons are cast I think they are KB pistons also .. can I change the balencer to a better.. one ? should I just leave that one alone ? Would you guys install the trickflo heads and intake and run it ? Like I said I drive the car Often it runs strong and seems very fresh I have been tight on money so can't build the stroker I want ,, I just want to use what I have already and enjoy it while I save money for the bigger stroker motor that's done right... was thinking of using MRL performance for that but it's gonna be a while due to money constraints Please what would you guys do if it if it was you ?

Unless you know who built it and if it was balanced with or with out the balancer I wouldn't change it. Put the heads on it and drive it like you stole it.

-
Back