408. best oil for it

-

jcmmurray

Reaction score
Is it possible that 10w 30 royal purple is to thin for my 408 with weisco pistons/rings Could i run 15w40 RP oil? I find the 10W30 disapears slowly and slight exhast smoke. What are the effects of runing a diesel engine oil? If any.

the guy i bought it off had told me the engine was broke in and ready to drive the way it should be, but i lost some oil during the instal, so i changed to 10w30, cause i didnt know what was in it

The smoking might/should go away once the rings are seated. What's your oil pressure?

It's breaking in an engine is a two step process. One is breaking in the cam, the over to allow the seating of the piston rings (give of take a 1000 miles, also why new car are suppose to wait a 1000 before you beat on them). Ran regular oil of your choosing (I use 10-30) then after a 1000 switch to 5-30 full syn, and I've never had problems. That's said your breaking can vary depending on the materials used for the piston rings. When I talked with Total Seal (I have their gapless piston rings) that I had to wait at least 1500 miles before they fully seat, 2000 would be better.

I have been taking it easy on it for that reason, i was just worried about the oil disapearing. If it was initialy broke in with a 15w 40 am i harming the engine by running a 10w30? For some reason i remeber the guy saying something about 15w 40 but with no paper work or contact with this guy i am kinda on my own.

Do you know who built the motor? Which machine shop or who did the cam break in (the dyno shop might know).

it is using maybe 1 lt every 2-4 hrs. but it has seemed to slow down a bit . I did fix a leak on a valve cover that was a bit loose and thought that was the issue but still disapearing a bit.

its more like 1/2 ltr every 4 hrs now, the way it is slowing down mellows me out. im gonna go with a 15W30 and see how it likes that. I get a feeling from reading on here its more of a self prefrence on what oil to use, some are useing 15w40 and some 5w30. seems like it doesnt matter unless your running it in extreme hot or cold temps. Ill keep driving it, im not that concerned yet. Thanks for the inputs

-
Back