dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
I’m going to use diesel oil and GM EOS to break in my 408. My options are:
Delo 15W40
Delo 30
Delo 40

What weight should I use?

I ran the Delo 400 in my 340 all summer and it loved it. Using Rotella T-syn 5w-40 now all year round in the two mopars and of course the Cummins. The old school V8s are great with the HDEO oils. I'd stay away from the straight weights in a driver. Not enough pumpability for cold starts. Maybe in a pure race-driven car, but that's about all. Even that is old school. The multi-vis syns are better all around these days.

I was using the Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 in the car and in my Cummins truck. I didn't like the nasty smell the Rotella gives off. But I recently switched to Brad Penn Synthetic Blend 10w-30 in the car cause it has the ZDDP additive package that has been taken out of all the other oils. Brad Penn oil is Kendall GT-1 renamed. Brad Penn bought the old Kendall Refinery in Bradfrod Pa. The Brad Penn oil even has the same green color that the Kendall GT-1 had. I changed to their HD diesel oil this last change too. You can't buy it in a store. You need to get it from a dealer in your area and they will ship it to your house or you can pick it up from them.

http://www.bradpennracing.com/

"I didn't like the nasty smell the Rotella gives off"

I never noticed the Rotella giving off a bad smell. I'll have to look at the other stuff once Rotella looses the zinc additive (suppodesly next year). However, for the time being i'll stick with rotella since everybody carries it (even Wal-Mart).

I don't know if the gas engines have the smell but I noticed it with the Cummins.....other than that it's a great oil. And you are right as of 2007 all the diesel oil will be a low-ash blend for the emissions equipment that is on them for the low sulfer diesel.

used valvoline racing 10-40 due to its zinc content in my last initial fire up....

read those rotella bottles, all i found that had zzdp or zddp or whatever was the 5 gallon buckets, the quart ontainers, and gallon jugs didnt say they had it...

Dello 400 is in my Duster right now. Broke in the new cam with it and zero problems...so far. Use it in the Cummins also. Terry.

I bought Delo 15W40 and a bottle of STP. Thanks for your opinions guys.

-
Back