408 build suggestions

-

Magster65

Reaction score
I've been collecting parts for my winter project. 67 Dart slant 6 car going to a 360 (408) / 727 / 8.75 (no tubs). I have the brake conversion and suspension figured out... about the engine though;
So far I have a scat kit, block's been squared up, zero deck... compression will be around 10.5 (forged piston / cast crank). Edelbrock 6077 heads, rollers on them, air gap, msd, Dougs, etc.
It won't be my daily transportation but I'd like to stick to 3.5 gears... 3.73 at the most with 28-29" tires.
I have not selcted a cam, converter and carb yet. My goal is to wake up some over confident bowtie and blue oval friends.
No I don't care about gas mileage.
Just curious what you guys would run for cam, carb and converter?
Cheers

rallyes.jpg

I've been collecting parts for my winter project. 67 Dart slant 6 car going to a 360 (408) / 727 / 8.75 (no tubs). I have the brake conversion and suspension figured out... about the engine though;
So far I have a scat kit, block's been squared up, zero deck... compression will be around 10.5 (forged piston / cast crank). Edelbrock 6077 heads, rollers on them, air gap, msd, Dougs, etc.
It won't be my daily transportation but I'd like to stick to 3.5 gears... 3.73 at the most with 28-29" tires.
I have not selcted a cam, converter and carb yet. My goal is to wake up some over confident bowtie and blue oval friends.
No I don't care about gas mileage.
Just curious what you guys would run for cam, carb and converter?
Cheers

View attachment 1715084209

I run this one with 1.6 rockers and procomp heads with 2.05/1.60 valves 10.5:1
3.91's 3400 stall with Holley Sniper Efi
Runs great.

Hughes Engines

This is a good candidate for a custom cut cam to match what you want for driving , or have an expert engine builder spec one for the best characteristics and ultimate power. 408 cubes need extra overlap for best power. Brian at IMM spec'd a mother thumper cam for my 408 street motor, [email protected] in t, 249 ex with a 107 LSA.
Calculate the overlap for the Mother Thumpr ( middle cam of three thumper Comp cams offered) and look at the choices you have looked at. A narrow LSA. Or a dual pattern cam to provide the extra overlap will perform best.

I have run a older BG 825 cfm mighty demon mechanical sec and a 800 cfm thunder avs. If I wasn't required to run an AVS I would go back to the mighty demon, it is a good carb once you clean all the shavings and crap out of it. If buying one I would buy a comparably size holley based carb.

-
Back