408 oil pump questions

-

MagnumBarracuda

Reaction score
I have done a bit of research and have seen many different opinions. I am building a 408 stroker 10.6:1 compression. 241/247 @50 cam. Scat forged crank, Molnar H beam rods, icon dish pistons, stud girdle. CNC prepped eddy RPM heads. My question is if i need a HV oil pump and if i can use it with the stock pan? Crate engine with similar parts never seem to turn more than 6000 rpm. The current pump is low mile and i assume stock (came in the 360/380 crate magnum) and held good pressure. Please let me know your opinions, experience, recommendations.

I’d you have full groove bearings and hydraulic lifters or you haven’t tubed the oil gallery then yes.

Yes to HV and yes to stock oil pan?

Yes. You can only pump the amount of oil that totals your usage and leaks.

Sucking the pan dry is a myth. Unless the heads hold oil.

If you are using a stock pan and pick up, the strainer MUST touch the floor of the pan when you put it together. Do not make it 3/8-1/2 inch away from the pan. That is wrong.

Yes. You can only pump the amount of oil that totals your usage and leaks.

Sucking the pan dry is a myth. Unless the heads hold oil.

If you are using a stock pan and pick up, the strainer MUST touch the floor of the pan when you put it together. Do not make it 3/8-1/2 inch away from the pan. That is wrong.

That will be the plan then. I will use the same pan and pickup so the location in relation to the bottom of the pan won't change.

That will be the plan then. I will use the same pan and pickup so the location in relation to the bottom of the pan won't change.

Just make sure when you put it together someone hasn’t altered something in some way that changes the pick up height. Like I said, it must touch the floor of the pan.

That may be one of the reasons why guys claim the pan is getting sucked dry. If the pick up isn’t touching the pan, it will act like it has no oil in the pan.

-
Back