408 question and advice please

-

dingo77

Reaction score
ok so ive set my sights on doing a stroker motor my question to you guys is does it matter if its an LA block or a magnum block? im wanting to go with the magnum so any advice or problems found or forseen please enlighten me on. thanks in advance

joe

I dont really think it makes much difference if any on ultimate power potential. Do ou have any parts now like heads you would like to use? LA's on a mag block isnt just a bolt on due to oiling differences. I'm using a mag block for my 408 and it will have stock magnum heads for now. The two blocks are pretty much identical as far as bearings and such. Do you have a more specific question? I could probably babble all night and not answer anything!

the only parts i do have are a set of harlan sharp 1.65 roller rockers for a sb bow tie ( i know bad words) knowing mopar stock duration is 1.6 that will give me a touch more lift than stock. in order to use these im going with the edebroc magnum performer rpm heads and matchin performer rpm air gap manifold. im watching junk yards to find a 93' and up 360 so i can put this plan into affect. as for cam not made a choice on that yet.

Cool. That sounds like a good start. The main reason I like the magnum vs LA is the roller cam. I also like the magnum head design allows you to run a smaller quench which will help with lower octane fuel use without detonation. you shouldnt have any trouble at all especially with the aluminum heads. I would look at the KB745 pistons and possibly a Comp XR275 cam. With the other parts you have picked out that will make a VERY stout combo. I will go with the same pistons but probably an XR268 cam. I will be limited on valve lift because of the valve guide interference with the stock heads. The plan is to get the thing running and then buy the same heads you have and the 275 cam to liven it up the bit on down the road. You shouldnt have any trouble finding the block you're looking for- they made a pile of them. Just remember you''ll need a different timing cover and possibly a camshaft extension to run a mechanical fuel pump. Or just go electric.

-
Back