408 Stroker on a 340

-

1971Duster340

Reaction score
hello, I have a 340 in my 1971 duster im thinking about pulling the engine to rebuild it with a 408 stroker kit. But first i want to get the block cleaned and resurfaced. If i got the cylinders bored what would be the best? (.30 over??) and would the stroker kit still work if i got that done first heres the kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRY...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

if so what cams would you get to go with it and this might seem like a stupid question but would it be a good idea to also go ahead and replaced the valves, springs, pushrods, and rocker arms?

thanks

That 408 kit is based on a 360 block.. have your 340 block checked out by a reliable machinist,to see what your starting with ie:wall thicknest,bore size,ect..then he(the machinist) can determine what over size piston you'll need 20 over,30 over,ect..it all depends on what the block cleans up at...

So, after you have your block checked by a machine shop you will need to look at “416” kits which will have 340 crank and pistons….definitely check the block out BEFORE you purchase parts.

And always bore the block the least amount you can...so if it only needs to be cleaned up at .020 over, then do .020 over... That way you can give yourself some room for a another rebuild say 50 thousand miles later, or however many miles...

I'd dig up a hydraulic roller 360 block someplace for cheap and sell the 340 for the inflated prices they get to help fund the project....

Or keep it so you can turn it back into a numbers car if you want.

-
Back