41 years ago today...

-
A Sad Day. -- A friend of mine, from Mi., was also a Freighter Captain, on Superior, at that time, was a personal friend of Captain Mc Sorley. He has related many stories about working with Capt. Mc Sorley, and The Fitzgerald, while the 2 freighters were breaking ice, on the lake, during winters. - God Bless The Crew.

Last edited:
That date can't be right
Seems like only 3-4 months ago I saw a post stating it was 40 years ago, that day

Found the post, dated November 10
Wow, time flies

Seen the documentary many times on History Channel or Discovery. It's riveting every time I see it. Truly a haunting event.

Yup.... Still remember the song.... Very Sad ...

My history teacher was also my music teacher and this was his favorite song. Great Canadian singer/songwriter that is still kicking. Lots of great songs by Gord.
RIP

Last edited:
My history teacher was also my music teacher and this was his favorite song. Great Canadian singer/songwriter that is still kicking. Lots of great songs ny Gord.
RIP
being a dumb okie, I liked the song but never understood what it was about. guess I`m going to have to look it up >

I think any man who has worked in a hazardous Industry to support there family's can only be touched by that story!! man how times have changed...I always loved that song.

that's a great picture of the Fitzgerald fully loaded .I know the feeling of uncertainty when at battle with a storm the thought is always in the back of your mind but with only 15 miles to a safe harbour im sure they thought they would make it until that last big wave comes calling . my condolences to family and friends .

I have seen Gordon twice. Both times he played this and both times he got a standing ovation afterwards. Not a dry eye in the house, either!

-
Back