410 stroker camshaft recomendations

-

James Clews

Reaction score
I currently have a 360/410 stroker in my Australian Valiant charger! It weighs approx. 3100 lbs and has run a best of 11.4 @ 119mph. The specs at this time are forged crank,I beam rods.forged SRP pistons,approx 10.5 comp 15 thou in the hole 39 thou gasket and 63 cc chamber.I have edelbrock heads home ported by myself with 2.55 valves and a Hughes 234 238 roller cam in it. I have a 5 speed tko 600 bow through a borge warner 7 3/4 diff with 31 spline billet axles and true track centre. runs 1.6 src sixty foots. I have sent a bare set of speedmaster heads away to a mopar guru to have the best done to them. Have not been sent back yet but he has put best quality back cut 2.08 valves in and port work is now 285 cfm @,550 lift ( will include all numbers later if you want. Now I am 65 years young and enjoy driving my car as it is very smooth running does not buck and jump in traffic and gets 22mpg on the freeway as it is a five speed manual. I have seen the Hughes camshafts around 240 @ 50 thou with 109 l/sep.in the seventies I had a 340 six pack manual charger with the mopar 292/510 114 l/sep cam and loved it. Would rev to 7500 and idle at 600 rpm and pull away in traffic at idle with no complaints. when I first built this motorI put the 292 510 purple shaft in it but it was only available with the 106 sep and I hated it. Most of the cams I have looked at in the 245 plus range have 108 or less lobe sep Am I on the right track to say that the wider lobe sep will calm down the cam a bit without hurting the performace? I have seen a Crane cam Hyd Roller 238/246 548 lift 114 sep part #699641 What do you guys think of this cam?

Most of the cams I have looked at in the 245 plus range have 108 or less lobe sep Am I on the right track to say that the wider lobe sep will calm down the cam a bit without hurting the performace?
you got it, you can run a little more compression with that l114 lobe separation and get back some of the low end the 108 gives you without the overlap

I have seen a Crane cam Hyd Roller 238/246 548 lift 114 sep part #699641 What do you guys think of this cam?
whole other discussion some can make HR work, some can't
Can you get a deal on Cranes in Australia?
what are your complete engine and chassis specs

Unfortunately we pay a premium in Australia. My heads cost Six thousand dollars to be ported incl the inlet manifold and all parts. the dollar at the moment is only @64 cents to the US dollar.A hyd roller by the time we pay shipping and exchange rate will cost us near $800. I have an Aussie Valiant Charger ,weighs about 3100 lbs has 410 stroker forged crank, I beam rods , forged srp pistons Hughes 34/38 Hyd roller cam, edelbrock home ported {by me} cyl heads with 2.05 inlet valves and pacemaker try why headers 2 3/4 to 2.0 to 3.0 collector into three inch exhaust pipes 800 carter AVS carb Ice programable ign (cost $1500) 5 speed TKO 600 gearbox with twin plate custom clutch, borg warner 80 diff with 31 spline billet axles and true track centre with billet diff cover reinf. comp ratio is about 10.5 to 1 Pistons down about twelve thou with 39 thou head gasket and 63 cc chambers. Car has run 11.4 @ 119mph with 26 inch slicks. 1.6 sixty foot. I have these heads coming that make 285 cfm @ 550 lift and have been milled down to 58 cc chambers and am putting cometic 27 thou head gaskets on so 12 plus 27 =39 quench and about 11 or a bit over compression. Car at the moment runs really nice in traffic no jumping around and idles @850rpm with 14 inches of vacuum. It has been on the chassis dyno and made 394hp and 594ft lbs of torque. Yes it is a torque monster, also runs an rpm air gap dual plane but am putting my ported Victor 340 on it because how much torque can u use? That 394 at the rear wheels equals about a bit over 500hp at the engine and with the head , cam and manifold change hope to make about another forty horses and hopefully get low eleven or maybe a 10.99 would be really good.I will also invest in a B3 rocker relocation kit.

108 is fine. Any more..and you begin trading off peak tq for a flatter curve.. it wont charge hard up top...it will plane and fall off.
248-251 is plenty tame for 410.
[email protected] with a 2.05 is falling a hair short with an aftermarket head.imo

I have a 3300 pound Dart that runs almost identically to yours. Might be 10 to 1, might be a hair less, compression wise.
Completely stock bottom end stock stroke 360, mild ported eddies with 2.02 valve.
I have an automatic.
No way i would run that small of cam in a stroker, if my goal was to get the car to ET its best.
4 inch strokers eat up cam duration. My 360 has a 260@50 cam on a 106, in at 102. Its been 1.52 60 foot. I wouldnt run anything smaller than that on a 4 inch motor trying to make power
My experience in wide ( 112) cams in an NA motor lacking much compression KILLS 60 foot. Carvhas a tough time making it up on the backend
With a somewhat limited head( eddie) and an NA Motor i would stay away from anything wider than 108.
Frankly( and not trying to pick on you) a ported eddie head stroker should run much better than 119 at 3100 pounds. Thats probably only 440? Horse, maybe. Just guessing on that.
I would start with more camshaft, and am assuming you are managing to get the car to leave properly?
I note you like driving it a lot. Certainly some tradeoff, but i drive mine everywhere with way more cam and less cubes.
If fuel isnt an issue, chopping 50 thou or so off the heads will raise compression up a nice little bit. Get it a bit over 11 to 1.
My heads i suspect dont flow much if any over 270 ish if i had to guess, sounds like you did a nice job on yours. You have the potential to be well into the 10’s without much changes.
Good luck, just comes down to how much the ET slip matters. I have zero interest in gas mileage, everybody is different lol

I have a 3300 pound Dart that runs almost identically to yours. Might be 10 to 1, might be a hair less, compression wise.
Completely stock bottom end stock stroke 360, mild ported eddies with 2.02 valve.
I have an automatic.
No way i would run that small of cam in a stroker, if my goal was to get the car to ET its best.
4 inch strokers eat up cam duration. My 360 has a 260@50 cam on a 106, in at 102. Its been 1.52 60 foot. I wouldnt run anything smaller than that on a 4 inch motor trying to make power
My experience in wide ( 112) cams in an NA motor lacking much compression KILLS 60 foot. Carvhas a tough time making it up on the backend
With a somewhat limited head( eddie) and an NA Motor i would stay away from anything wider than 108.
Frankly( and not trying to pick on you) a ported eddie head stroker should run much better than 119 at 3100 pounds. Thats probably only 440? Horse, maybe. Just guessing on that.
I would start with more camshaft, and am assuming you are managing to get the car to leave properly?
I note you like driving it a lot. Certainly some tradeoff, but i drive mine everywhere with way more cam and less cubes.
If fuel isnt an issue, chopping 50 thou or so off the heads will raise compression up a nice little bit. Get it a bit over 11 to 1.
My heads i suspect dont flow much if any over 270 ish if i had to guess, sounds like you did a nice job on yours. You have the potential to be well into the 10’s without much changes.
Good luck, just comes down to how much the ET slip matters. I have zero interest in gas mileage, everybody is different lol

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Opening the LSA to try and gain some driveability is a power loser. If it’s a carb, tune it up. I’m running 255 at .050 on we0 inches and my engine will idle at 750 if I let it. And, I’m on a 105 LSA I’m at 105. It will pull hard to 7000. Like any other “tight” LSA cam, power after peak falls off rather quickly. How much? IDK yet. Going on the dyno in late may or June. Then I’ll know for sure. But this I'm sure of: the tighter LSA will make it pull harder in the gear change, every time.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Opening the LSA to try and gain some driveability is a power loser. If it’s a carb, tune it up. I’m running 255 at .050 on we0 inches and my engine will idle at 750 if I let it. And, I’m on a 105 LSA I’m at 105. It will pull hard to 7000. Like any other “tight” LSA cam, power after peak falls off rather quickly. How much? IDK yet. Going on the dyno in late may or June. Then I’ll know for sure. But this I'm sure of: the tighter LSA will make it pull harder in the gear change, every time.

i had a mild 11.5 compression stroker with W5 heads at one time( upgraded the combo later)
3350 weight, 260/266 flat tappet.
Ran 10.30’s first time out.
Little later that summer( before i broke the cast 4 inch Eagle crank) a certain cam guru that is a huge “Wide LSA guy” and knew my exact combo did up a 112 cam. Cam in the car before the swap was on a 107.
Long story stort, car never ran better than low 10.50’s after the cam swap. In like air, it was about 12-15 off, from the narrower cam( Porter actually did that one)
Car was “ numb” 60 footing. I will say the mph was almost identical. But the 60 and other incrementals were all off. Just felt doggy.
Never again, unless using a power adder.
Maybe a car with “ good heads” light, and lots of compression( and more convertor) might shine.
Typical Mopar small block bracket type car/ motor, no way

will include all numbers later if you want. please do
pick your duration on what rpm you want your power strip is obviously different than pleasure driving same with LCA
to not feel doggy you need more compression with the wide LCA cam

-
Back