413 engine question

-

63dartman

Reaction score
A guy has a 413 engine for sale from intake to pan for $350. Are these desireable engines and are they good performers?

What was it out of? They used to make a lot of these for later model Pace Arrow motor homes.

They can make good power and are very much like building a 426 wedge r a 440. Some of them had closed chamber heads too, but most were low end very strong torque motors for trucks etc. You can get a better set of heads and or do some mods and make a lot of poer.

What would you put it into?

No idea what it would go in, Just thought it might be worth picking up for the price. I have been wanting a 66-67 charger for a long time. Doesn't look like it's coming anytime in the near future but, I guess it could go in one of those.

Would be a tire burner! Better than a 383 on the low end. Not a high rev motor though, but could be...to a point

hate to rain on your parade, but pass on it at that price. There are virtually no pistons available for this motor. At least none worth using. find yourself a nice 383 block and do a 431 stroker. you'll be glad you did. if you pay more than $100 for a 383 you're getting ripped.

I wanted a 426 wedge for my 63 to do and have that Max Wedge look. But they are hard to find and like was said the piston selection is not good for the 413 and 426 wedge. So I put this 440 together I had and then put the SuperStock 426 badges on it ! Looks just like a 426 wedge. Ron

220000192.jpg

383man said:
I wanted a 426 wedge for my 63 to do and have that Max Wedge look. But they are hard to find and like was said the piston selection is not good for the 413 and 426 wedge. So I put this 440 together I had and then put the SuperStock 426 badges on it ! Looks just like a 426 wedge. Ron

220000192.jpg

i get a woody every time i see that picture

I have to agree, piston selection is p*ss poor for these engines, only thing holding me back from buying one. I have a 63 Chrysler 300 and was going to do a max wedge build up with the "tunnel ram" and all but got to looking at the prices of some of the parts and my piggy bank aint handling it.

I know where a 66 Charger is but its located in Virginia and needs way to much body work for me to jump on it haha. Good luck on finding one and actually I love the idea of a race small block with twin centrifugal superchargers on them haha.

beggars cant be choosers guy, they stopped making big blocks in the late 70's. its 2007. come on

About the only thing worth while in the motor is the steel crank. The motor is worth $100 but not $350 for basically a small bore 440.

Chuck

:scratch: Can any of you guys verify this. I heard once that a 413 bored .60 over is the same block as a 426. Is this true? If it is true can you put hemi heads on it? dumb question but I had to ask!!!!!!!!!!! Walt :headbang:

-
Back