426 Hemi or 5.7 Hemi for Duster

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
which would be easier as well as more affordable? Putting a 426 Hemi in a Duster or putting a 5.7 Hemi in a Duster? Please provide reasoning and explaination. THANKS!

Up front cost of a 5.7 engine alone is waaaaay cheaper than a 426!

Go with the 5.7 or 6.1.
I have been watching for 2005- 2008 hemi chargers at the local insurance auctions here.
The average price for a smacked charger is between $1500-$4500. This is way cheaper than a 426 Hemi at over $10,000 just for a motor! plus you get the whole car with all the electronics.
I'm sure you would be able to sell some of the Charger body when your done.
I've been buying 340 blocks and engine parts lately as I want to change the motor in my car (it's a built 360). I have more invested in parts right know than one of those smashed hemi chargers and this is only a small block!
The more I look at the hemi swap section the more I want a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi with a T56 6 speed trans.
Once I buy a Charger that's not to badly hit I will be selling most of my older stuff. Just think, newer lighter block, Tunable EFI, easier starting and reliability.
It dosent look like you have to chop up the body/frame at all for the conversion, sure it will take a litlle longer to install but with many FABO members already doing the swap there would be lots of help.
In the end it will be worth it!
Just my 2 cents.
:burnout:

The 426 is way cool, and a legendary piece for sure. However, the 5.7/6.1 is way cheaper, and in reality can make plenty of power with simple bolt ons and good tuning. Not to mention a 5.7 is 100lbs lighter than a factory small block, what's that 426 weigh again?..

I vote gen 3 Hemi for builds up to 426/440/460 ci. If you want 500+ ci, go gen II.

Gen III advantages:
More power per ci
More streetable at any size and combo
More efficient combustion chamber = less timing needed and more prone to detonation
Fits easier than a gen II
Lighter than a gen II
Will hold up to 1,000-1,800 hp, depending on stroke and billet/non-billet mains

Gen II advantages:
It's cooler? Debatable
Can be punched bigger than a gen III iron or aluminum

If you want to spend a lot, go buy an aluminum 6.1 block that takes a 4.150 bore and put a 4.25" stroke crank in it. Rod angles and piston compression heights aren't great at that, though.

One more vote for the Gen III.

Gen II will always win on the wow factor and size factor. In my opinion the Gen II Hemi is the best looking motor ever built. You can easily stroke and bore a Gen II hemi to 572 cubic inches. While the Gen III is limited to 460 Cubic inches.

In terms of HP potential I'd say the sky's the limit on either motor. Either motor can easily put out well over 1000 HP. Obviously for those types of numbers you are going to need some type of power adder. The stock iron block Gen III Hemi appears to be able to handle over 1000 HP stock. (Obviously at those power levels forged internals are a must.)

One big advantage of the Gen III Hemi is weight savings. If you are interested in ANYTHING other than going fast in a straight line the Gen II Hemi wins easily. A Gen II 426 era hemi weights around 760 LBS. While a Gen II Hemi weighs in at around 485 Lbs.

Thus, it is possible to take nearly 300 Lbs. off the nose of the car.

To put this in perspective the Gen III Hemi weights between 60 and 80 Lbs. less than an LA or Magnum motor.

Of course you are posting this question in the Gen III hemi area, so we might be a bit biased. ;)

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Gen III 426 ( see above reasons...)

If you want to spend a lot, go buy an aluminum 6.1 block that takes a 4.150 bore and put a 4.25" stroke crank in it. Rod angles and piston compression heights aren't great at that, though.

There is a woman here at work I've gotten to know a little bit. Her husband has a B5 2010 Challenger R/T. so naturally I've been asking about her ol' man's car. She said he races and it runs in the 10's. I was asking things like is it supercharged? Turbo? And she didn't know anything about it other than it's fast.

Well I finally met him at a Mopar show a few weeks ago and got the low-down. He talks a mile a minute but what I do remember is that he's using a $4000 Mopar Performance aluminum block at 426 C.I. It was one of the first 20 offered and unfortunately, they started out using the wrong bolts in the 4 bolt caps and his developed a problem. The block was replaced for free and he recently got it back from some shop in Georgia. He runs a Ford 8.8 rear end with mid 3 gearing, normally aspirated, NO power adders. He downloads his tunes (not the Barry Manilow kind) from some guy on the internet based on the data he sends him. He has a buddy who owns a trans shop and he built the 5 speed auto.

He drives it all the time and attends a lot of the LX functions. He's driven it to Jersey and other states to race and then back to Ohio. I saw the time slips and one was a 10.79 with front runners and drag radials. He started it up for me and it's pretty loud for a GenIII but not much at idle.

So, put that highly streetable motor in a 3200 A body and hold on. Could be 1000 lbs less weight!! Unfortunately for me, he sold all the 5.7 stuff that came in it originally. Rats!

Gen 2 for me. Funds permitted it will be what goes in the Dart some year. No arguing that the "new" HEMI is a good motor but for me Mopar slaughtered the mystique of a HEMI by putting it in damn near every vehicle they make.

You could get the 426 Hemi in damn near every car built back then also, so I'm lost with what has been said in the above post.

5.7/6.1 = cheaper = as boring as a chevy
426 elephant = expensive but worth every penny!

You could get the 426 Hemi in damn near every car built back then also, so I'm lost with what has been said in the above post.

Really? Came in Jeeps, pick up trucks station wagons? Never seen a CJ with a factory HEMI, nor an old Dodge pick up. Pretty sure the old Belvedere wagon we had it was not an option either....are you still lost?

If they were so popular back then how come they are so rare and hard to find?? If funds are not there for a 2G HEMI when I finally get back to my car it will more than likely get an LS in it.....for me it is the best bang for the buck out there.....Sure, all the haters are going to say otherwise....but these are also some of the folks that have been telling me that a 4l80 will not live behind a 700 hp HEMI....

5.7/6.1 = cheaper = as boring as a chevy
426 elephant = expensive but worth every penny!

:wack:

As boring as a chevy? Come on man. That's messed up.

I guarantee you there are less 5.7/6.1 swaps into muscle cars in general than there are LSx motor swaps. I'm even willing to bet there are less 5.7/6.1 swaps than Gen 2 swaps. Definitely different, and not at all 'boring'.

What I'm saying is all ya had to do was check the box and pony up the "extra cash" for the hemi option, hence not many people did that, therefore the rarity. Althougth you could not get a 426 hemi in a truck, or station wagon, you could get a 331, 354, 392, but those are not the engines we are talking about.

"Boring as a chevy" and you agree with that, but yet will stick an ls engine in your project? I like the "dare to be different" style, so I'm not busting your balls, lol, but dont contradict yourself.

:wack:

As boring as a chevy? Come on man. That's messed up.

I guarantee you there are less 5.7/6.1 swaps into muscle cars in general than there are LSx motor swaps. I'm even willing to bet there are less 5.7/6.1 swaps than Gen 2 swaps. Definitely different, and not at all 'boring'.

What I'm saying is all ya had to do was check the box and pony up the "extra cash" for the hemi option, hence not many people did that, therefore the rarity. Althougth you could not get a 426 hemi in a truck, or station wagon, you could get a 331, 354, 392, but those are not the engines we are talking about.

"Boring as a chevy" and you agree with that, but yet will stick an ls engine in your project? I like the "dare to be different" style, so I'm not busting your balls, lol, but dont contradict yourself.

Not gonna argue with either one of you......So what you are saying is the HEMI was available in the 68 & 69 Valiants I have owned? Was available in the 69 Dart I owned? As well as all the 70 & 71's? First I have ever heard of a HEMI Valiant....Granted, I was only born in 66 but I do not think the HEMI was as widely available as you make it out to sound......and I am pretty damn sure it was not as widely available as the 3g version of it....
I am far from a purist so that is where part of the difference may be. Let me clarify something....to me a small/big block Cheby is somewhat mundane....but the LS is a bit different.....in my opinion. Cant really lump 1950's technology with modern day stuff now can you?? Fact of the matter is to do a new hemi swap, complete with functioning efi is going to cost you more than it will for an LS....the LS can run on damn near any reflashed ecu....last I looked your beloved new hemi can not.

Just wondering....anybody ever got over 900 hp on pump gas out of the new HEMI? No force feeding it, n/a on pump gas?

One thing that makes me laugh about some folks, especially on this site, is that you can not have a difference of opinion.

Attachments

• 91_Octane_NA_Hemi.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,215
You are correct, not available in the cars you mentioned, but any b/e body, your golden. I like the fact that we can converse on the subject and not get upset with each other. Have you looked at lxforums.com? There are alot of motors making big power n/a, check it out.

Gen III Will offer better cornering and better power-to-weight ratio.
Elephant Straight line, mystic and general motorhead boner.

Cost well can be considerable to say the least. I think even if you find a deal on the Elephant, it will not lower the cost of doing that swap in the long run.

The reason for the really cheap cost of the LS GM motors is they are everywhere, built well and can make power at a reasonable cost.

If we install more GEN III Hemi's in vehicles the cost will go down. The LS has been around for a while. However, not for long will it be around. The new trucks and I am sure Camaro's will follow with the new LT series engines. Look the same but not.

Good luck but I vote 5.7L truck motor and enjoy...

One thing that makes me laugh about some folks, especially on this site, is that you can not have a difference of opinion.

I don't have a problem with a difference of opinion. However I dislike people saying my choice of motor is 'as boring as a Chevy'. You can easily voice your opinion as a gen 2 Hemi lover and Chevy lover, even tell me how expensive and difficult my swap is, but don't call my gen 3 hemi swap boring. That's just rude.

As a footnote: I like LSx and gen 2 Hemi motors.

426 Hemi for me. My 71 Duster was the best hot rod I've ever owned. 528 Crate engine with a single holley, kiesler 5 speed, dana rear. And this Barracuda is a 528 Hemi, Fuel injected, 3 speed auto, 8 3/4............That being said I have a 6.1 out of a jeep that is going in mt 1964 Dodge crew cab truck. Should be fun!

Attachments

• supermarket.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • !ByFD9I!!mk~$(KGrHqIOKiIEwPnZw5JsBMQOGmpn9!~~_12.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,134
-
Back