426 Hemi

-
A stock gen 2 hemi had its issues; super heavy pistons to fill up those giant chambers and some pretty horrible valvetrain geometry (and heavy of course). Building a 2g hemi is also on my bucket list but it will be after i build a 3g hemi (old 5.7 block, eagle heads) so i can see 40 years difference in technology and apply as much of that as i can to the old 426 design.

I keep reading references to back in the day. Its still that day. Check the rules for Nhra pro-mod. The most restricted? The hemi. And I gotta wonder,why no ls or modular motors in Tad or pm? Maybe someday but not tomorrow.

The yardstick by which all others are measured ...

A stock gen 2 hemi had its issues; super heavy pistons to fill up those giant chambers and some pretty horrible valvetrain geometry (and heavy of course). Building a 2g hemi is also on my bucket list but it will be after i build a 3g hemi (old 5.7 block, eagle heads) so i can see 40 years difference in technology and apply as much of that as i can to the old 426 design.
You will like it! I have a 5.7 in my race car with a carburetor and it's been very consistent.
6.40 @105 in the 1/8th mile and 10.1 @135 in the 1/4.
I happen to have a 5.7 short block I could part with, PM me if you're interested.....

I love my wedges. But they can't run in high horse race apps very well. One hang up is the two center exhaust ports get too hot. Don't get me wrong. 1000+ HP wedge is mean, but there are definite limitations. Notice when symmetrical port design steps in.

The limitation in HP level of the wedge is the block. You'll find that weak point far prior to the limitation the heads pose.

Terzmo, good point. Considering the cost of a bone stock hemi, think of all the goodies and work one can put into a wedge.

I have put together a few hemis. Never even thought of putting together a stocker. That's not what hemis are about. And the price of factory stock parts is often higher than aftermarket,especially when they are used aftermarket parts. Factory exhaust manifolds $$$$$$, used perfectly good headers can be had cheap. I have several sets that are wall decorations. Some parts are expensive. No getting around that. Hey, I give myself plenty of time and money just for plug wires. But overall the difference isn't as bad as you think and all those goodies can be added to the hemi also. Now as far as what to start with I have been able to score complete cars with hemis. For this you got to be patient and put out plenty of feelers.LOL. but if you want to step up to the counter and get one,yeah you will pay.

440 core goes for about 400-800 dollars. You have a block, crank and rods at that point or you have a just a block if you care going with a stroker kit. Stroker kits run just over 2 grand through 440 source.

How much can I get into a 426 core for?

A friend had a KB solid block laying around for several years. Over half of the pan rail on one side was gone. My friend must have stared at it too much cause he was sure it was going to be big bucks to fix. So he gave it up and now it has been repaired. For under $500. Like SS/BA said old race parts can be had for cheap.

Fellas......

A decent hi HP Wedge short ain't too much different cost wise to a Hemi short, esp when using aftermarket blocks/spinning assemblies.

The money is in the heads & valvetrain.

Still, do you WANT a Hemi or do you you want to settle for a second option? Build what you WANT and don't look back. Aint nothin cheap in this geared disease we all have......

Just be glad and thankful it was MoPar that designed, engineered, raced and had the NADS to put them in street cars, instead of Brand X :D.

View attachment IMG_2931.jpg

View attachment IMG_2930.jpg

Many don't like it but I have a Gen 1 354 Hemi in my '69 dart. I no longer race, the car was built to cruise. I have to tell you that people will climb over each other to get a look and when I start it up everyone stops and looks. There is just something about the Hemi engine that stirs peoples imagination.View attachment 1714816619
What intake is that Kelso?

Nothing is the same on any of the race examples now except the name and the records fall because they loosen the definition of "acceptible" or someone finds a way to incorporate more modern technology in parts or machining accuracy. They were cool for their time - but sorry - a Honda VTec makes them look like a dinosaur in hp/in and even back then a well tuned wedge could outrun them and certainly was more driveable on the street. In terms of cost there's no justification for them besides the aura. I've always been a mopar guy, but really the Gen II Hemi is not the be-all-end-all of engines. Simply a cool approach to solving airflow problems "back in the day".

:happy1:

Not entirely correct Moper. The Hemi combustion chamber allows for more compression without detonation which means you can run more timing and or get better performance from crap fuel. The flow issue is the biggest factor in the horsepower edge but not the only one. I've had wedge heads with 2.14 / 1.88 valves so not quite 2.25 / 1.94 and even if you could get the Hemi valves in the head the port couldn't use the difference if you are talking about factory iron heads. I love my big block wedges though. They have torque, street-ability with low maintenance and the 440+6 has a wow factor of its own.

I know my dad back in the day with his 440 6 in his 70 cuda would beat alot of hemi's. You pay more due to having a hemi for everything , does it have greater potential I would say yes do to head design but with all todays technology, i have a set of eddy max wedge victors ready for 2.25 int and 1.94 exhibitions for my next motor build see what go i can squeezero out of a 604 Cid twin turbo wedge car, that with fuel injection can make high horse power. Ultimate engine I would say no, very iconic yes.

What intake is that Kelso?

Mguner, Its an old manifold from the old PAW catalog I picked up when they were still in business.
More for show then for go as the runners are somewhat restricted by indentations for bolt clearance.

My 69 swinger has a Ray Barton built wedge and someday I wil put a Barton gn 2 Hemi in..... It's the ultimate.... Just what I've dreamed of for years. That and a blower!!!!

My 69 swinger has a Ray Barton built wedge and someday I wil put a Barton gn 2 Hemi in..... It's the ultimate.... Just what I've dreamed of for years. That and a blower!!!!
after racing a 426 for 14 yrs., and driving another on the street to work and back also, I can honestly say, some of you are full of sh-t !!!

440 core goes for about 400-800 dollars. You have a block, crank and rods at that point or you have a just a block if you care going with a stroker kit. Stroker kits run just over 2 grand through 440 source.

How much can I get into a 426 core for?
Don't know...I know a person that has a new 426 block and he doesn't know what to price it

Latest purchase.
midgit.jpg

Deals are still out there. Putting together a 484" hemi out of this pile of parts. For pennies on the dollar.
IMG644.jpg
IMG644.jpg

Yup, Hemi's are probably the "ultimate". My brother named his dog "Hemi". He'd yell "Rev it up, Hemi!" and the dog would tear all around the yard growling...

But, I like the 383/440 set ups, and chose a 383 for my "keeper" Dart build. Just fit me the best... Here's the old girl in progress...

motor777.jpg

Hemi's got the "cool" factor. They look cool no matter what you put them in.

But 440's are the street engine. Cheaper to build. Power out the ***. Roast tires at will. Stuff it into an A body and hold on. And lets not forget how cool the 440 6-pack looks. Personally I'm a 440 fan. Favourite car is a 69 1/2 road runner 440 six pack.

I have been running Hemi's for decades, since the early 1970's and I have a pretty good feel for them and what they like and how they run. Folks say that the 440 will run with a Hemi on the street -- it will for 1000 feet or so, but then the Hemi starts taking advantage of the head design and will pull away in high gear -- every time.
Then folks say that you can make a 440 run with a Hemi. That is true if you make mods to the wedge and not to the Hemi. But if you make the same mods to the Hemi, it will widen the gap on the wedge. Not knocking the wedge engines - I love them. It's that the Hemi head design is a superior design for making serious power.
My current car is the 9th Hemi car that I have owned. I have had everything from numbers matching stock ones to SS/BA 1965 A-990 Coronet. I have pretty much raced them all in one form or another. I can say this with confidence - I have never had a similar build wedge motored car from any brand drive around me on the big end. Never.
That is why I settled on the current build - my 1969 Hemi Cuda. It will run easy mid 9's in full street trim, N/A, pump gas, at 3500 pounds. The previous engine was 528 CI and lasted from 2003 - 2014 and it was still running fine when I pulled it out for a refresh. It now has 572 CI and makes an easy 840-850 HP. Tough to get that out of a wedge this easily. Anyway, that has been my experience with the Hemi's..

Boss Mag Pic.jpg

-
Back