428 Cobra Jet Holley 730

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
It looks like this one only a little dirty. Still has the tag but no idle solenoid. Any Idea what these are worth and what I should ask for it or try and trade it for value wise? I will get the info off the tag later along with the actual pics it is just not where I can reach it at the moment. Tag says it is for a 68.

c8zx2.JPG

Probably a good bit. I would think 500 ish. Possibly more.

True story.....about 4-5 years ago I was at a swap meet...guy had a whole table of old used and abused Holley carbs, most about $35-$50 in price.....I wanted a carb for parts and one caught my eye out of dozens he had cause it had a choke assembly on it and I thought it would be a good "parts carb"....so I plucked it out and paid the man $35 for it and tossed it in my trunk. Well....I got home and decided to look up the carb numbers.....turns out that this carb I bought is no longer a parts carb, but a carb for someone who is restoring a Shelby Mustang......think it was a SB carb.....but I did some research and listed it on ebay with a low starting bid and it sold for close to $400! Before I get labeled as a "flipper" ....I looked at it more like I saved this rare carb for a stock resto guy and put some extra $$$ into my Mopars...I'll see if I have a pic...I am sure RRR can recognize it :glasses7:

Attachments

• Picture 1647.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Picture 1659.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Picture 1666.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Picture 1660.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 230
Not the prettiest in the world but it still has the tag. That's a BIG plus in the world of original carburetors. I stick by my guns on the value. It's just dirt.

Not the prettiest in the world but it still has the tag. That's a BIG plus in the world of original carburetors. I stick by my guns on the value. It's just dirt.

Thanks Rusty. I'm still trying to figure out what I need first, 4.35 stroker pistons with a 1.865 CH, and depending on what I come up with there some H beam 6.76 rods with either the .990 pins or 1.094s, a 590ish roller cam for retro fit lifters....

A guy I work with has a 68 428 cj/auto car he is rebuilding to stock specs. I think he already has a carb, I believe he paid 500 for it. He has a 69 428 cj 4 speed car also. I remember him buying a 730 but not sure which car it was for. I will ask him.

Read Splitty's post...

I talked to the guy at work. He said the U at the end of the number on the choke tower indicates its a replacement carb. If the original carb went bad the mechanic went to the parts counter and got one of those to replace it with. more info coming later.

If it was an original carb the number would differenciate between auto and stick cars. He says there is some hard to find parts on it still. The 90 degree fitting coming out the side is worth 50 bucks. He told me he would give you a couple hundred for the carb. He has been buying pieces of carbs for his 68 and he must have seen something on that carb that he still needs. Hope this helps...

The C9 in C9AFU denotes that it is a 69 carb, if it were a 68 carb it would say C8XXX. just a bit of info that I picked up a while back. I traded a couple of AVS carbs foe a couple of Holley carbs that I needed for parts. One of the was a C8XXX carb And I made a bit of money on it.

-
Back