42rh reassembly-park rod trouble.

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
So had the valve body out of my A500/42RH to do the Transgo shift kit.

Trying to reinstall the valve body and the park rod. Can't seem to get the park rod to go all the way in. Whatever mechanism is at the back that the rod end has to pass through seems blocked, or for whatever reason I can't get the rod end past it.

Any tips here? Attached a couple pictures if that helps.

IMG_20190905_112049707.jpg

IMG_20190905_112022730.jpg

Turn the driveshaft. If the park pawl isn't lined up with the gear they can be a ***** to get in.

You need to spin the driveshaft while pushing the park rod in. It's a pain.

I always remove the E clip and leave the park rod in the trans when I drop the valvebody on 727's. Not sure if that's possible on a A500/518.

Ok, thanks
I'll give that a shot when I get back to it in the morning.
I did rotate the output shaft between attempts, but not while pushing in on the rod.

There a ***** , but everything the guys said is true giggle,wiggle, and patience...

Ok, got it in. First I tried installing the rod by itself. Rotated the output shaft a bit, and it popped right in.
Then installed the valve body, and couldn't figure how in the heck I was going to get the front end of the rod back into the rooster comb with the valve body in place.
So took the body back off, pulled the rod and attached it to the rooster comb, then put the body and the rod in as a unit. Pretty much popped into place this time.

Thanks much for the tip.

The valve body has to be in first or reverse to get to the E clip. Can't remember which one it is.

-
Back