440 4-Speed Guys... Knowledge Please

-

ToMang07

Reaction score
So I'm (hopefully) picking up a 440/6 next weekend. Assuming all goes well there, I'll be dropping that big pig in an A-body Swinger. (70-72)

Ideally I'd like to put a 4-speed in it, not really concerned with overdrive, however I want something that will hold up to some abuse.

Doing a lot of research, I'm reading a lot of conflicting info, the majority of it appears to be combinations that "should" work, I.E. advice from people that have not actually done it. Other than that mostly either A-body or B-Body specific combinations.

I'd like to avoid the 727, they are a dime a dozen sure, and I'd go that route as a last resort.

So....18 or 23 spline....from what I have read, both will work? (23's seem to be a dime a dozen)

Bell housings: TOTALLY lost here. No idea what size(s) I need, 10.5, 11, A body, B body, IBR hole(5.125" or 4.35" or 4.80")

And lastly, tailshafts. Not a clue here. I have no isues getting a custom made drive shaft, but as far as what is going to fit/work under an A-body....clueless.

I appreciate the help in advance fellas. I know I'm biting off a lot, and I'm green as hell. But I'd rather learn and do it the right way, than screw it up and do it 10x guessing.

If I'm missing anything else, let me know. I know it's going to take a lot to get this done right.

well I'm sure others will chime in. but I'm collecting parts to put a 4 speed in my 72 swinger, with a 383 tho.
from what I've gathered the 23 spline is plenty tough enough to be beat on with a decent amount of power and is what I'm using, a friend of mine ran a 23 spline trans behind a 440 in a c body and he beat the daylights out of it, broke everything but the trans. you can use a long tail a833 b/e body but may have to make a shifter bracket. third are arrivals how to do it which is no big deal. I went with the short tail a body trans. as far as bellhousing brewers sells reproduction bb a body bells but if your going to beat on it a scattershield is good insurance, I bought a QuickTime bell which is a nice piece, it comes with ibr adapters to work with the smaller 4.35 ibr like I have up to the 5.125 larger one. I'm using a 10.5" mcleod clutch with 130 tooth flywheel 10.5" clutches have plenty of bite to handle whatever you throw at it.
and as far as "fitment" give me a month or two and I'll let you know exactly how it goes lol

If A-body 4 speeds are a dime a dozen, I'll take 2 dozen.

Go hydraulic clutch, your brain and knuckles will thank you for it!!

Go hydraulic clutch, your brain and knuckles will thank you for it!!

I was thinking about it, haven't looked into it yet. I know after having a hydraulic clutch on my bike I'd never go back given the choice.

I've got the American Powertrain set up on mine, love it!!

Well I picked up the 440/6, so I definitely need to find a A833 4 speed. Still don't have a car picked out but I have a few prospects, and as much snow as we're getting dumped on us right now won't be getting a car any time soon, anyway.

-
Back