440 4-Speed owners

-

Gearjammer

Reaction score
I,m installing a 440 4-speed combo with a scatter sheild.I'd like to hear about your clutch linkage and any other bits of info you might have.Thanks.

I had an issue with the bellhousing hitting the fold of metal in the tunnel where the floor pan meets the firewall on the passenger side. I had to trim it back a little bit. As far as the linkage I haven`t had any problems. I used a NOS Hurst Comp+ shifter with factory linkage,factory bb torque shaft/spacer,and adjustment rod, a Hayes (at first) then Centerforce disc/PP and T/O bearing. No problems with either one. Make sure you have the correct length fork and pivot as they are big block specific parts. If you have any problems with parts check out Brewers Performance. Good luck! HTH.

Thanks for the responce.When you say torque shaft are you talking about the Z-bar ? As to the bell housing,is that factory or a S/sheild ? Also i have already been on the phone with BP,they know their stuff.Here's one more question,what happened to the 4-speed crowd ?

Hello Gearjammer, yes ,when I refer to the torque shaft that`s the Z-bar. My bellhousing is a Lakewood with the scattershield (about 25yrs. old but I believe they`re largely unchanged). I can`t say enough about Brewers, they do know their stuff. The 4 spd. guys are still around , they`re on the site here every day rounding up parts and info for their 4spd. fixes. All the race guys have gone A/T for consistency, 4spd.s are more for the street guys that want to have fun!

-
Back