440/520 Stroker with max wedge exhaust manifolds question

-
Definitely better than stock log manifolds
I wouldn't even consider putting any type of manifold on a 520 stroker.
Matter of fact, anyone that cheeps out on any component when building any stroker may as well stick to a stock build platform.
I can build a tractor engine with a lot less cubes for less money. lol

Tuned to what? Look at cylinders 2 and 8. I’m not anal about getting the lengths within an inch but more than 3 inches will affect tuning. 2 and 8 aren’t even close.
Tuned to 1962 lol

Brooks I thought you were after a 512, I bet you'd be happy with a 470 like mine.

Brooks I thought you were after a 512, I bet you'd be happy with a 470 like mine.
I don't think he knows what he wants, he's been posting possible combo's anywhere from a 318 to a 520 over the past year. lol
If there ever was a bench builder, it be him. imo

I don't think he knows what he wants, he's been posting possible combo's anywhere from a 318 to a 520 over the past year. lol
If there ever was a bench builder, it be him. imo
Yeah, I understand that eventually he'll get the info he needs to make up his mind.

Gonna throw in my two cents, probably not worth that much.....
Imo, max manifolds are neat, and better than magnum hipo's, but not as good as headers. They are heavy, almost impossible to fit, don't look right not hooked to a max crossram motor, and are way too expensive, original or repop.
For a stroker in anything but a 62-64 b-body, I would not consider max manifolds for a minute. Headers 100%.
(Perspective: I have a REAL max wedge engine, and a 62 savoy. The car is way too modified to be considered a clone, even with a real max in it. I MIGHT someday buy a set to put on the max if I decide to sell the engine, but it's using headers in my car, period.

I was toying with the idea of a 62 Savoy car which I think would have had the 426 Max Wedge as an option, don't quote me on that
Just found a set of ready to go Max Wedge heads and the correct cross ram manifold with hardware and linkage for $3500

Just put some TTi headers on it and be done with it. Expensive yes. You have to pay to play. You will only buy one set. Mine are 29 yrs old and in great shape. The crank. I agree with post #38, but they are too expensive to make work in a 400 block as opposed to buying aftermarket.

Just put some TTi headers on it and be done with it. Expensive yes. You have to pay to play. You will only buy one set. Mine are 29 yrs old and in great shape. The crank. I agree with post #38, but they are too expensive to make work in a 400 block as opposed to buying aftermarket.
Agree , I read that not only are you losing the nitrided finish on the crank you are also reducing the overall strength of the crank.
A friend of mine in Ozark, AL, has done my machine work on the motors.
His take was cutting the crank down and buying aftermarket caps was not a good idea. He has built many class racers motors, all Mopar
The other option was to machine the crank bores to accept a std 440 crank.
Was told thereis too much meat to take reducing block strength considerably. I'm talking about 600+ hp motors, which will probably need block fill if they're more than 30 over

I would say by the time you pay for the machine work it's a better deal just to buy a new one. 20 years ago maybe not. 440 Source has them for 799. The eagle 4.25 crank I bought 3 yrs ago was about 600 after discount. 900 now. I have 5500 in my 512 shortblock assembled including roller cam and lifters.

So you are looking to put a RB block now with Max Wedge manifolds inside the frame and engine well of an A-body? (Totally different if front halved with aftermarket K-frame and suspension.) I don't think I've even seen this? It certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened. But Damn!

Dude, just build a hot stock stroke 400. You're talking about a big block A body. It's GONNA haul ***.
67C5BD06-507B-48D2-97F8-0228781CBBA6.jpeg

Dude, just build a hot stock stroke 400. You're talking about a big block A body. It's GONNA haul ***.
I will if I can find a stock 400 forged crank, been told by several members that their 77 400 truck block had forged cranks. I'm picking up a 77 truck -3 block next week. I'll keep you posted

I will if I can find a stock 400 forged crank, been told by several members that their 77 400 truck block had forged cranks. I'm picking up a 77 truck -3 long block next week. I'll keep you posted, I say as I'll keep fingers crossed.

I will if I can find a stock 400 forged crank, been told by several members that their 77 400 truck block had forged cranks. I'm picking up a 77 truck -3 block next week. I need all internals to be forged. I have enough hardware to spray it up to an extra 300 hp. I'll keep you posted

-
Back