440 and supercharging

-

73dartsport318

Reaction score
ok my friend wanted me to ask yall about putting a 6-71 from a detroit diesle on his 440 that came out of a 79 motorhome. Hes not interested in going fast just samething to give his 1 ton a nice kick for hauling.he doesnt have a intake for it the 6-71 or can u machine the factory one to work. im totally clueless. any help or info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance alan

I have seen aluminum 4 barrel intakes milled down and a plate attached so a 6-71 blower could be installed. The reason this happened was there was no blower intake available for the motor at the time, it was a Buick 455. To do this the intake surface must be milled exactly parallel to the crankshaft so the shaft of the blower is the same. It would be easier just to find an intake. You also mention using a blower off of a diesel, if you mean one right off of a diesel they won't work as is. The bearing end plate will need to be changed to aftermarket end plates for this type of application. The stock plates can't take the load and rpm that the aftermarket ones can. As you know diesel motors spin much slower than gas motors do.

Chuck

there are real blower intakes available for big block mopars,,

BDS,,, hampton,,big als toy box,,,if you look around you can find them used,usualy around 300.00 bucks,,,

probably a better deal to just get a new blower with wll the correct gas engine sutff verses the fee to rebuild,,and convert to a gas street engine,,
plus the blower off the diesel wont look as pretty as a new case,,i have a real blower off of a GMC diesel,, dated 1965 and my case isnt as nice looking as a new one,,, but i keep it polished,,,and most people dont realize it,, cause they are just amazed at a blower car at a show or on the street,,,
but rebuilding and converting it can be done,,,several places to get the parts or too have it done,,

-
Back