440 Block salvage part info needed(Machine shop thread followup)

-

BigBlockBanjo

BigBlockBanjo
Reaction score
Ok guys, a few questions so I can get stuff ordered for this block we have been discussing.
If I were to use this cast crank:...
What is the lightest stock stroke rod and piston combo?
I need a piston idea, so I can give it to the shop for him to deck it to where it needs to be. I want flat tops, unless dish would give a better flame front? Can I get 10.5-1 with any dish piston and TF heads?
Can/should I use 7.1 rods? Pros/cons in this application?
Are aluminum caps/girdle still recommended for a lightweight rotating assembly 440 with a 6000-6200 redline?
Car will have aluminum heads, wanted TF 270 originally, 240 would probably be better with the cast rpm range. (?)
I know some of this is dead horse material, but I'm trying to get an idea of what I need so I can get the shop the info they need while that water is still warm.
Thanks again; the support is appreciated big time.

7.1 rods are long bbc rods. You would have to cut your cast crank down to BBC size, and then you would still have too much side clearance. They are intended for stroker cranks with side clearance adjusted for Chevy rods.
I like girdles, and I might use aluminum main caps on a 700hp stroker motor. A stock main cap 440 is fine to 6000.
Any quality forged piston will be fine, dish or flattop, depends on your deck height and chamber size. Time to do some calculating and make some combo decisions.
BTW, nothing wrong with a real Mopar cast crank in a performance application, be aware you need proper parts for external balance.

Ok guys, a few questions so I can get stuff ordered for this block we have been discussing.
If I were to use this cast crank:...
What is the lightest stock stroke rod and piston combo?
I need a piston idea, so I can give it to the shop for him to deck it to where it needs to be. I want flat tops, unless dish would give a better flame front? Can I get 10.5-1 with any dish piston and TF heads?
Can/should I use 7.1 rods? Pros/cons in this application?
Are aluminum caps/girdle still recommended for a lightweight rotating assembly 440 with a 6000-6200 redline?
Car will have aluminum heads, wanted TF 270 originally, 240 would probably be better with the cast rpm range. (?)
I know some of this is dead horse material, but I'm trying to get an idea of what I need so I can get the shop the info they need while that water is still warm.
Thanks again; the support is appreciated big time.
Flat tops will be better for quench, you can't get 10.5 compression with a stock stroke 440 & dish pistons.
If it were me, I'd find a couple hundred dollar forged Mopar crank and have it offset stroked to bbc rod journals, that will give you more rod & piston choices + an additional 20 ish cubic inches.
If you plan on racing it much you may want to think aftermarket.
Here is a formula to find what you need.
Find out the stroke 3.750 standard stroke 440 or 3.910 for offset stroke
Divide it by 2.
Pick a rod length & add those together.
Take your deck height 10.725 & subtract the 1/2 stroke & rod number.
You will have a left over number which will be the maximum piston height.
Hope that helps.
I'll do some looking & give a couple ideas tomorrow

No point in reinventing the wheel.
Any decent replacement h-beam rods and flat tops to go with them.
440 Source probably has both in stock.

Most of the power is in the heads/manifold/cam.

TF270’s are too big for your projected rpm range.

Keep in mind you’re only the cost of a crankshaft away from 500”.
Now is the time if you’re ever going to.

-
Back