440 Build Change of Plans

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
A couple years back I started building a 440 to swap into my '72 D200 pickup; at 5000'+ elevation back in Colorado the power from the mostly-stock 360 was a bit lacking. Now since moving to basically sea level I find that the 360 is more than adequate and will likely just swap in an A-518/46RH and go to smaller on-road tires from the current 33" General Grabber A/T's to pick up some gas mileage. I now have all this 440 stuff and am curious what I could get out of it for a street/strip build to put into a car (A- or B-body). I sold the Stealth heads and MP dual-plane intake (Edelbrock RPM copy) I was going to use as I needed the money and figured I'd want a better-flowing top end for more HP anyway.

Parts I still have:

-- 1973 440 block, bored .030" over (matched to piston diameter), honed and cleanup milling of the decks
-- Stock forged crank balanced and polished
-- New Clevite full groove main bearings from 440Source
-- ICON 9947 FHP forged pistons
-- 440Source stock-type replacement rods (#200-1132)
-- Hastings Ductile Moly piston rings
-- 440Source 12-point head bolts
-- 440Source aluminum water pump housing and high-flow WP

The pistons have been hung onto the rods and the crank was balanced to that rotating assembly. Before I moved I drilled out the oil passages feeding the main bearings and installed the crank into the block along with the rear main seal but that's all the assembly I've done so far; at some point I need to get out and gap the rings and install the pistons and rods into the block and get a measurement of how far below deck the pistons actually are. The main limiting factor for power is with these pistons and using cylinder heads with chambers in the 76-78cc range the most compression I could get would be around 9.5:1. I also read in Andy Finkbeiner's book on big blocks that stock forged cranks are good to about 600 HP so I figure that's the number I'd be shooting for.

After watching the Engine Masters episode where they tested the Trick Flow 270 heads vs 240 versions on a ~550 hp 440 and picked up power everywhere I want to go with the TFS 270 heads and good matching intake like the bigger Track Heat or an Edelbrock Super Victor. What would be the rough power potential with that top end? Should I do some upgrades to the oiling system too? I'd ask about cam specs but I'm not sure yet what the rest of the combo would be outside of using a 727 trans.

Trick Flow offers a top end package for the 440, their figures with the package is 600 hp.
Probably the best 5 grand you'll ever spend.

The only thing I can suggest is to not overthink a truck engine for a tow vehicle too much. Maybe build it to have plenty of torque with a nice flat curve. You may not need the TF 270's on that type engine, if the advantage of them is at higher RPM's and higher lift numbers. Put headers on it with quieter type mufflers so the exhaust drone doesn't drive you nuts on a longer haul. Good luck with it.

:thumbsup:

The only thing I can suggest is to not overthink a truck engine for a tow vehicle too much. Maybe build it to have plenty of torque with a nice flat curve. You may not need the TF 270's on that type engine, if the advantage of them is at higher RPM's and higher lift numbers. Put headers on it with quieter type mufflers so the exhaust drone doesn't drive you nuts on a longer haul. Good luck with it.

:thumbsup:

My post got long-winded as usual lol... I originally started building it for my truck hence the Stealth heads and RPM intake I had before but decided to keep the 360 in that and want to build my 440 for a street/strip car instead.

What JD said.
I built a 440 a couple of years back using TF 240 heads. With their cam package, the quoted HP was over 600, 624 I believe. [ On TF website ]. Another example where bigger is not always better....

What JD said.
I built a 440 a couple of years back using TF 240 heads. With their cam package, the quoted HP was over 600, 624 I believe. [ On TF website ]. Another example where bigger is not always better....

I want to take the approach of modern engines... Lots of head flow capacity to make the power. It's been confirmed in recent years that the BBM platform is "under-headed" in factory form. I've watched the Engine Masters episode multiple times now and it really says something if they picked up 40-something lb-ft across the board on a fairly mild 10.3:1 440 with a small ~230° @ .050", sub-.600" lift cam just from swapping from 240cc to 270cc heads alone. The two versions of heads cost basically the same anyway.

Maybe later I can beef up the bottom end and/or add a stroker kit (or turbo??) to support even more power if I need it. Thinking about the overall goals though, I believe I can get deep into the 10s with an honest 600 HP in the right car. Going quicker than that requires a cage and a lot more safety stuff iirc from the NHRA rules.

It makes perfect sense now that I know it's for a hot rod...lol. I built a new 360 for my old 84 D350 many years ago, and got caught up in the "If enough's enough, more's better." frame of mind and built to much of a hot rod motor for the truck. I had Flowbastards on it and it was rattling and I couldn't hear it for the exhaust droning. KABOOMYOW while I was coming home from KY with a car on the trailer! :BangHead:

I want to go with the TFS 270 heads and good matching intake like the bigger Track Heat or an Edelbrock Super Victor. What would be the rough power potential with that top end?

Potential?
About 100-150hp more than the build you’ve outlined will make.

Mopar R&D,
What episode of EM made 40 ft lbs more tq using a small-ish cam & switching from 240 to 270TF heads. Can you post the link, I would like to see it. Thanks.

Mopar R&D,
What episode of EM made 40 ft lbs more tq using a small-ish cam & switching from 240 to 270TF heads. Can you post the link, I would like to see it. Thanks.

I exaggerated, it did pick up torque everywhere above the 3000 rpm starting point of the dyno pull but it wasn't 40 lb-ft, more like 30 at some points and carried the torque higher up in the revs. It did gain 35 hp at peak.

https://www.motortrend.com/plus/detail/episode_title/4794126

In case you don't have MT+ I took a snapshot of the graph...

Screenshot_20231122_001331_MotorTrend+.jpg

-
Back