440 build

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a 440 with the Indy 440-25 crossram 2 four set up on it that I still want to use. You don't see them every day. 11.5:1 speed pro pistons and ported 915 heads. I'm guessing that's not a good combo for the street. A little steep on compression. Would a set of aluminum heads make this useable on the street with that compression or do I have to change out to lower cr pistons. Cam was wiped so I have to do a new one. I'll check to bottom end to see if any problems with cam shavings. If crank is good ( forged ) I'll use it. If not maybe a 440 source stroker kit. I want a pretty healthy street cruiser. 500+ hp range. Any ideas on combo of cam and cr of pistons and heads needed to combo up with this intake??

Forget the Indy garbage, talk to the B1 people, their heads are the ****. The sell a street friendly head that is ideal for you. And you don't have to deal with the *** holes at Indy!!!

you are probably going to have to switch to different pistons.

best thing, get the block to a machine shop so they can clean it up prep it for you. then you will know if the bores are .010 , .020, .030 over or whatever.

then get some pistons to get you at 10:1 or so. your heads have a lot of money into them if they are ported. they are probably fine to use, unless you feel like spendin another 1500 to get a set of aluminums to lower the weight a little. either way

you *** could *** do a stroker kit but the cost going from 440 to 528 with a 440source kit is gonna cost $2300 instead of $400 for just pistons. not sure if you want / need the extra horsepower since on the street the 440 will burn the tires right off anyways.

cam was probably wiped because of bad oiling or wrong springs or they swapped lifters around or something. but you will probably want new cam bearings while they are in there.

then for a cam, well there are a lot of different opinions on here, but some like the mutha thumpers for street they would be great. make sure you get the specific springs to match whichever cam you choose. very important.

most important thing is that you get it done right dont make the mistakes of the previous owner. machine shop guys will teach you everything you want to know.

there are dozens and dozens of clearances to check and little tricks they know.

do you already have the 2 carbs and do they need rebuild?

call up a few cam companies and ask for a cam to bleed off some of the compression so it will be street gas friendly or have the piston dome milled down to lower the compression.

-
Back