440 cam purchase

-

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I may have bought the wrong cam and to be honest I don’t know about cams.

Here’s what I bought:
Competition Cams 21-225-4 Xtreme Energy Camshaft

What I think I should have bought:
Competition Cams Nostalgia Plus 21-672-4

What it’s going in to:

71 Scamp
440 30 over
3:55 SG
14’s (unsure on tires)
727 stock
(2800-3000 stall?)
440-KB-237’s
Sidewinder Heads. Bowl blend Thanks Tod
Stock rockers for now
Mopar M1
Barry Grant 750 Street Demon
TTI headers

Think I can get away with it? The specs are close to the untrained eye but they are different. I’m looking for that nice loppy rumble.

bought

Thanks

The biggest difference is not listed in the specs. The Nostalgia Plus is ground on a true .903 specific Mopar lobe. The Xtreme Energy is not. That said, I think either is too large for the rest of your combo. You get a good tight 3500-4200 converter and then you'll be in the ball game. Otherwise, I think you should back off the camshaft some.

What sort of lift should I be looking at. Again I’m looking for a nice mean loppy sound with a bit of get up and go.
For argument sakes if I did get the larger converter, how would you think this package would drive on the street?

What sort of lift should I be looking at. Again I’m looking for a nice mean loppy sound with a bit of get up and go.
For argument sakes if I did get the larger converter, how would you think this package would drive on the street?
Lift has absolutely nothing to do with sound. That's all achieved with duration, lobe separation, overlap and exhaust valve closing event. You can take a stock camshaft and have it reground and keep the lift stock and have it ground to sound like a pro stocker.

As for the converter question, it will drive fine as long as you tell the converter company you want a converter that will flash to 3500-4200 .......or "whatever" and be tight so you can drive it on the street. Converter technology has come light years ahead of the "slipping transmission" converters of the 70s and 80s.

Oh and just my personal opinion, if you are just set on one of those two original cam choices, that .509 Nostalgia plus will probably sound nastier than the Xtreme energy.

-
Back