440 cam selection

-

MoparPalm

Reaction score
So getting ready to put a new bracket motor together. It's a 440 060 over with 11:1 compression with Promaxx Maxx series heads . It's going in a 72 Duster with a 727 8" turbo action converter and 4.56 Dana. I have a .620 (275 duration @50) purple shaft cam that's new in the box. Just wanted some opinions if that cam might be too big with only having 11:1 compression. Should I look for something more in the 240-250 duration range? First time building something like this. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Well I'm no cam guru but, I would say run it, you don't say what tyre height, but assuming its a 29" tyre your gonna be trapping in@around the 7000rpm range with slip with an estimated 550hp motor in a guessing 3300lb@the line car. For that motor to pull to 7k I would say [email protected] is just ok. My mates 3150 Dart with a [email protected]:1 and the .590 purple [email protected] with MCH Eddy heads was done in the traps@6900.
I myself ran a 440 with just 10:1 with a [email protected] sft cam but that was with 906 iron heads, had a 4800stall 8" and it ran great and pulled well from around 4500>7000+, probably would've run better with less dur for more CP.....I'm sure you'll get all different suggestions but thats just my 2c's.

Yes, you should be looking for a different cam. Although there are several shelf grinds that look really good for this, I'd probably go with a custom order cam in this case.
Edit: I at first thought it is 283 @.050 stick but Hot Metal is correct, 275 @ .050, 4000-7000 RPM. I'm pretty sure it would work better with 4.88 to 5.13 gears, though.

Last edited:
Simplest and easiest and best solution yet... I would absolutely run it in that engine with it advanced for maximum cranking compression.

You HAVE IT. I think it's a pretty good match. Run it. I sure would without thinkin twice.

As measured, it’s [email protected], 106lsa.
It uses up a lot of V/P clearance.

In the grand scheme of what it costs to build a motor, and for what a SFT costs....... I’d use something else.

Tq output will be pretty low in an 11:1 motor.

Thanks for the info, seems to be a lot of shifty information on MP cams out on the inter web.
For the OP: Are you committed to using a flat tappet solid cam? If so I like this grind Howards Cams Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts 720152-08
or this one if you want to stay with a single pattern cam
Howards Cams Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts 721602-08
I don't know why it seems like Howard's makes the most Mopar specific cams I've seen since UltraDyne, but when it comes to a shelf cam they seem to have them covered better than most when it comes to a 60/40 or better strip/street build.

Last edited:
So getting ready to put a new bracket motor together. It's a 440 060 over with 11:1 compression with Promaxx Maxx series heads . It's going in a 72 Duster with a 727 8" turbo action converter and 4.56 Dana. I have a .620 (275 duration @50) purple shaft cam that's new in the box. Just wanted some opinions if that cam might be too big with only having 11:1 compression. Should I look for something more in the 240-250 duration range? First time building something like this. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks
Howards solid flat tappet with edm lifters.
260-264 @ .050 .616-.620 I have a 471 build going on that's the cam I'm using. Guys @ howards & Hughes both recommended this after I purchased it. The intake closing is @ 68 degrees so it won't bleed off too much as that big purp will. With the duration of the purp you'd need atleast 12.1:1 & maybe higher . my 2 cents, or the next cam down would maybe a tad better for you I have 11.4:1 compression

Thanks for the info, seems to be a lot of shifty information on MP cams out on the inter web.
For the OP: Are you committed to using a flat tappet solid cam? If so I like this grind Howards Cams Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts 720152-08
or this one if you want to stay with a single pattern cam
Howards Cams Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts 721602-08
I don't know why it seems like Howard's makes the most Mopar specific cams I've seen since UltraDyne, but when it comes to a shelf cam they seem to have them covered better than most when it comes to a 60/40 or better strip/street build.
Yep I just recommended that 1st howards cam as well

Also I think the true duration is more like 280 something on the 620 cam

-
Back