440 cam swap.

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
Swapping the cam on my D300 with a 440. When I put #1 on tdc I found that the distributor rotor was pointing at #6. , but the crank and cam marks lined up, this was during disassembly,so from what I understand I should set the cam to crank timing and then rotate the engine one full rotation and then the drop the distributor in pointing at #1 just trying to clear this up and any advice would be appreciated. ( this is my first big block experience) thanks

Perhaps I'm not understanding your description correctly, but if the cam/crank timing marks line up (dot to dot), and you've verified you're at #1 TDC, compression stroke, rotate the distributor rotor to #1 (which should be 180* from where it's pointing) and drop it in...I would also try to account for about 10-12* advance timing. (back crank up to 10-12* BTDC after you drop in the dizzy, then rotate dizzy housing to #1 post)...helped me out dialing in advance before cranking.

When the timing marks are lined up beside each other you will be at TDC on the exhaust stroke, so you seeing the rotor pointing to #6 is correct. You need to rotate it one more revolution to be at TDC on the compression stroke.

Did the crank and cam marks line up dot to dot or were they both at the top of the gears?

They are both dot to dot , when I disassembled the engine I found that when the gears are dot to dot the distributor was pointing at #6 and ,so I got to looking into it and came up with the one full rotation of the engine one the dots are lined up for assembly ,

Have another question. Can't I just leave the cam and crank sprocket lined up dot to dot and reinstall the distributor pointing at #6 ,and refire the engine

They are both dot to dot , when I disassembled the engine I found that when the gears are dot to dot the distributor was pointing at #6 and ,so I got to looking into it and came up with the one full rotation of the engine one the dots are lined up for assembly ,

Have another question. Can't I just leave the cam and crank sprocket lined up dot to dot and reinstall the distributor pointing at #6 ,and refire the engine

When installed dot to dot you will be TDC compression #6. So yes you can install the dist pointing at #6 in the cap. (or rotate 360 degrees and install pointing at #1 in the cap....either or.)

Thanks for the help guys just kinda thinking out loud ,always get good help on this site ,

-
Back