440 cid, combo suggestions?

-

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Chris. I'm a relatively new guy on the forum but l'm going to be picking up my 1971 Duster in a few days. The car was originally a /6 but now has a 440cid out of a 1972 Charger backed by a 4 speed. The body has 25k original miles on it and it's CLEAN :-D. This car will see 100% street duty.

The car is set up for a straight line right now, mini tubbed, 8 point cage, narrowed Dana60 with 4:10s and a detroit locker, sumped tank, etc. The 440 from the 1972 Charger appears to be stock, and I was disappointed to learn those year motors were only rated at around 280 horsepower (?). The motor looks pretty fresh (at least clean and painted nicely). My goal for this car is 500-600 streetable horsepower. I'm not too concerned with the car hooking because of the meats in the back, the locker and the chassis work. I'd like some recommendations on how to achieve my desired power level. I'll be having a custom cam ground for the car by Jay Allen of Camshaft Innovations. Can you guys recommend an intake manifold, carburetor, and cylinder heads? I see that edelbrock products are favored on here.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I've been surfing 440source.com. Post away guys!! Help! 8)

013_10.jpg

file007.jpg

file012.jpg

this_one.jpg

that ride deserves some indys with harland sharp rockers, custom cam easy 500 ponys

that ride deserves some indys with harland sharp rockers, custom cam easy 500 ponys

I'm pretty new to the Mopar game, sorry, I should have been clearer about that. My last love was a '72 Olds 442, but I've always been a Mopar guy at heart, just could never afford one until now.

Where can I buy Indy cylinder heads? What would you recommend for the intake manifold and how many CFM carburetor?

edit: i found www.indyheads.com, but still curious what else you'd suggest to complete the combo

Talk to these guys about Edelbrock heads and they've sometimes got some good deals on clearance CNC ported cast iron and aluminum heads. Cuss you're running this thing on the street I'd go with Edelbrock RPM Performer intake and a 850 DP'r Demon or Holley. I'd use either Hughes or Harland aluminum roller rockers. You're going to have to tear into that engine tho to make it all work together because you've probably got a very low compression ratio 8.25-8.75 to 1 if it's bone stock, I'd shoot for 10 to 1. Trouble is you can't be sure unless you check.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

Terry

Nice car!

A set of Indys would flow very well and make the power you are after. They allso make a good single plane intake that would go well with them. Some thing like a 1000cfm carb and a set of 2 inch headers. Shoot for some thing around 10.5 or 11 to one compression.

Thanks for the replies guys, if I post up casting numbers from the stamping bosses on the block and heads, could you guys help me determine my compression ratio?

If I'm going to have the shortblock apart anyway I'll just up the cubic inches with a stroker kit. The Hughes place seems like they have good deals, how's their quality? Any thoughts on the 440source.com stroker kits as well?

I can't thank you guys enough. :D

IMO, indys are a waste of money to get to the HP level he desires.

Ported E-brocks or 440source heads cut to about 72-75cc's will get him there with the right camshaft and other components. Getting to the higher HP number range is going to require a bump in compression. If you are planning on making some bigger HP later, buy a set of Victors and T&D rockers.

Rockers, get a set of ductile irons if you can find them. Run a good solid cam or small roller, RPM or Victor intake, 950hp and good headers and you should be in the ballpark.

Lots of good opinions in here guys, keep em coming!

This may be a stupid question, but I did a search first in a few sections and came up with nothing. How much horsepower can these 440 blocks take on a stock rotating asssembly? How much can they handle on a forged rotating assembly?

Lots of good opinions in here guys, keep em coming!

This may be a stupid question, but I did a search first in a few sections and came up with nothing. How much horsepower can these 440 blocks take on a stock rotating asssembly? How much can they handle on a forged rotating assembly?

With the stock forged crank and rods you're safe at mid 500-600HP that being said you're pushing it with stock rods at 600 in my opinion. The block itself is good for 800HP, I'm guessing but will need a crank bearing girdle amoung other things. As I said earlier the compression ratio for a 72 factory stock 440 was 8.75 to 1 and there is no way of knowing what yours is without pulling her down unless of course you've had the engine since it's birth and knowbody else has been playing with it.

Terry

With the stock forged crank and rods you're safe at mid 500-600HP that being said you're pushing it with stock rods at 600 in my opinion. The block itself is good for 800HP.

Terry, you've been a lot of help in this thread, thanks! I'm a little confused by the above statement though. The stock crank and rods in my '72 440 shold be cast iron, right? Was the rotating assembly forged from the factory?:dontknow:

Hey, 71, welcome to FABO. There is a great amount of knowledge and experience floating around here, just be patient because not all can get online every day to answer questions in topics with which they are familiar.

In the meantime, check into 440 Source because they have some excellent tech write-ups on the 440.

Best of luck.

P.S. Log onto the thread every so often and just enter "bump." This will put the thread to the top of the unread list so it could be spotted quicker.

P.P.S. What part of LI do you call home? I spent most of my life there.

Hey, 71, welcome to FABO. There is a great amount of knowledge and experience floating around here, just be patient because not all can get online every day to answer questions in topics with which they are familiar.

In the meantime, check into 440 Source because they have some excellent tech write-ups on the 440.

Best of luck.

P.S. Log onto the thread every so often and just enter "bump." This will put the thread to the top of the unread list so it could be spotted quicker.

P.P.S. What part of LI do you call home? I spent most of my life there.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful tips! :-D I live in Centereach, right in the middle of it all. I'm currently a graduate student at NYIT in Old Westbury and a full time employee at an engineering firm in Mineola. I'm all over the place, haha.

Terry, you've been a lot of help in this thread, thanks! I'm a little confused by the above statement though. The stock crank and rods in my '72 440 shold be cast iron, right? Was the rotating assembly forged from the factory?:dontknow:

Well no Chris, the cast cranks didn't come into vogue until 73, by then Mopar had taken all the balls and HP out of these engines and forged guts weren't required, but I'm assuming that your bottom end is forged. Like I said we gotto varify what you got there before deciding what the engine can safely be built to and in the link below is a picture that shows both cranks and the difference is plain as day. Why don't you start off by posting the casting number off the side of the block and drop the pan and take some pictures of the crank and rods. Some people will also go by the crank balancer as the unit for the cast cranks is stinking wide compared to the forged unit but again you're assuming the the builder before ya got it right. I've found cast crank balancers on forged cranks before as I assume a few others here have. Also at the front of the engine, infront and slightly inboard of the drivers side head you'll see a 2"x1" flat area of the block, it's right across from the distributor. There should be a stamping there that starts with an initial then 440. For a 72 it should be H440

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/50.html

Terry

Wow, great info! The car isn't actually in my possession yet, but it's slated to be delivered by the middle of next week. The first thing I'm going to do will be to post tons of pics and post the casting numbers on the block, heads, intake manifold, etc. I know the car has a set of headers on it rather than exhaust manifolds, but that's about all I can tell from looking at the motor. In the very least it's been cleaned up very well and painted very nicely. First steps will be determining what all I have in the motor. Thanks again Terry!

-
Back