440 crankshaft questions.... Pic included

-

dkbug

Reaction score
Ok so I am fighting with my 440 right now. Not sure what to call it, but I can't remember seeing this rear piece with a notch cut out like that.... I was told that I have a cast crank and that I will either need a counter balanced converter, or the flex plate that B&M makes. I went for the flex plate so I can run the neutral balanced converter I already have.

What can you guys tell me about this before I go to stabbing the transmission back in with this flexplate?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20151107_123853.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 159
What year is the engine? Is your engine assembled from parts from various sources? Do you trust the person who told you it was a cast crank?

See this page to help identify the stock damper (balancer) you may currently have: http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm

If you have the balancer that was on this crank when the engine was disassembled, it will be starting point to help determine what you actually have for a crank.

The damper I have is a thick one and it's has words "Use with" and the rest is kinda worn away to where I can't read it. The block is a 76 model block. The block has .30 over pistons in it with what I believe to be a 20/20 crank and stock rods.

damper

Attachments

• 20151107_133126.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 20151107_133118.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 155
You do have a cast crank will need weight at the converter.

(I edited my original reply to simplify it)

You do have a cast crank will need weight at the converter.

(I edited my original reply to simplify it)

Thanks alot!!!

I went ahead and purchased that B&M flexplate that counterweights the crank instead of having a weighted converter. I have a 3200 stall neutral balanced converter.

Ever run one of those flexplates? Heard anything bad about them?

-
Back