440 Dart pinion angle?

-
Thanks all. Get motor/trans installed, set rear pinion parallel with trans output shaft. Then set pinion down
3-5* from there, weld perches. Got it. Sounds easy.
You got it. It is that easy.

there's an 1982 version of that book on ebay. would a later version have updated info or should I grab that one? thank you for your time. there's a bunch of utube vids on pinion angle, (some are excellent, some are not) that helped me grasp this. As RRR said it is the "working angle" of both ujoints that you want to be correct. iirc you want them to be parallel but in different planes (1 up/1 down) & that is not from the ground but from each other & anywhere from .5 degree to 3 degrees & within 1 degree of each other then the pinion a bit further down (toward the ground) from that for pinion rise (depending on the suspension type/racing your doing).

there's an 1982 version of that book on ebay. would a later version have updated info or should I grab that one? thank you for your time. there's a bunch of utube vids on pinion angle, (some are excellent, some are not) that helped me grasp this. As RRR said it is the "working angle" of both ujoints that you want to be correct. iirc you want them to be parallel but in different planes (1 up/1 down) & that is not from the ground but from each other & anywhere from .5 degree to 3 degrees & within 1 degree of each other then the pinion a bit further down (toward the ground) from that for pinion rise (depending on the suspension type/racing your doing).
Sounds right. The .5 to 3 degees is what's recommended. Keep in mind working angle is dependent on the speed of the driveshaft. Think rock crawler vs race car. The higher the driveshaft speed the less working angle you can get away with. If you want to learn about u-joint working angles and how they are affected by rpm just pull a pto driven implement (like a bush hog , baler or manure spreader) around behind a tractor for a while. If you turn too short with it wound up fast they will let you know about it. Lol There is a chart for that somewhere. Maybe in the spicer manual.

Just found this youtube video on pinion angle.

-
Back