440 differences??

-

URDUST73

time for the COLD wrench!
Reaction score
What exactly are the differences in the 440 motors that came in different cars? More to the point what are the differences in the bottom end? I have an oppurtunity to purchase a complete 440 from pan to carb w/ 727 tranny for $900. It is a 1972 w/ what I am told very low mileage, but it came out of a RV... Now if the bottom end is just as good then it shouldn't be a big deal because I am building the entire top end, Cam, Heads, intake, carb, etc. What kind of performance issues would I see? This will be going into a 73 Duster and not a daily driver (I have already looked into doing the swap). As always your advice and opinions are welcome and thank you all for your time concerning my project. I will start posting some pics as soon as we get rolling on some real progress. Right now we're just cleaning her up.

What type of motorhome? class "C" van style nose or class "A" flat nose. If it is the "C" it will be a 440 but if it is an "A" it could be a 413 being it is a '72 (Mopar still used the 413 in motorhomes until the mid 70's). If it is a 440 it most likely will have a cast crank and if it is a 413 it will most likely have a steel crank which could be used in a 440 block being they are the same stroke.

Chuck

so what is the best thing to look for as far as differences if it already pulled out? and would this be an ok swap into my Duster if I am building the top end?

If you're considering hopping up the 440 and it has a cast crank you'll need a forged crank to be safe. Take a look at the crank dampener, is it 1 inch wide or 2 inches wide, that's the quickest way to tell or post a picture of it.

Terry

Thanks guys! If the damper is 1" or 2" what motor does that mean it is?

i think the cast crank dampers said "cast crank" on the damper. if not, they are fairly thick whereas the forged damper is only about 1-1 1/4" thick

URDUST73 said:
Thanks guys! If the damper is 1" or 2" what motor does that mean it is?

Sorry I should have explained further. The forged crank uses the thinner of the 2 dampeners usually about 1 inch wide and the cast crank uses the thick dampener 2 to 2 1/2" wide. http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/bb/22.html

Check out this link for comparison.

Terry

-
Back