440 Flywheel???

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
I am going to be ordering a flywheel for my 440 4spd car.

My question is, How do I know which flywheel I need? Internally ballanced, or externally balanced?

Thanks

Phil

need to know what year it is first of all. but if you can post a pic of the harmonic balancer that would help. if its perfectly round without any offset weights then its internally balanced. i think that the external balanced were stamped cast crank only or something on them and they were alot thicker.

need to know what year it is first of all. but if you can post a pic of the harmonic balancer that would help. if its perfectly round without any offset weights then its internally balanced. i think that the external balanced were stamped cast crank only or something on them and they were alot thicker.

I had the info writen down somewhere, but I can't find it. Here are a couple shots of the engine. PLEASE NOT...I Bought the engine internally put together by someone. I put the balancer on thinking that it is the one for it. This could be the wrong balancer. thats why I sent the pics of the block and the back of the crank

This is the balancer that I had in a bin of parts that came with the car. I painted it, then put it on. But I don't know if someone changed the crank or not, so don't just go by this picture.
Duster012.jpg

Here is the block info
Duster013.jpg

and here is the back of the crank, I hope you can tell what crank it is by looing at it here.
Duster014.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Phil

That balancer looks to me like it's for a 440-6pack with the heavier rods which your engine may be. To be absolutely certain you're going to have to drop the pan and see if you got a cast or forged crank. Forged crank will need the internally balanced flywheel.

Terry

That balancer looks to me like it's for a 440-6pack with the heavier rods which your engine may be. To be absolutely certain you're going to have to drop the pan and see if you got a cast or forged crank. Forged crank will need the internally balanced flywheel.

Terry

I think the engine is from an RV. But I am not sure.

It wouldn't suprise me if that was a rarer balancer. But it doesn't really matter

How do I tell if the crank is forged or cast? what do i look for when I drop the pan?

That's an aftermarket balancer which is probably why it looks so different but I'm sure it is for a cast crank and if you say it came from an RV it probably is cast. Check the link for identification and a cast crank would require an externally balanced flywheel. http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/50.html

Terry

Here are a couple pics of the crank that is in my 440. comparing my crank to the pics on the link that you provided me, I think that it is a forged crank.

which means I would need a nutral balanced flywheel, right?

check out the pics
Duster012-1.jpg

Duster013-1.jpg

If you require more pictures to verify, just ask, I would like to 100% sure of what my crank is.

PS I was talking to a shop in town and they said I should be able to use a 318 flywheel if I get it balance. I have a 318 flywheel allready, so I thought to check into this. has anyone ever heard of this happening. I have allready put the 318 flywheel on the 440 and it fits and all bolts line up. and it is a 130 tooth flywheel, and that is what I need.

Looks like it could work...any thoughts guys????

and I know that I would have to take the bakancer off that I have on the engine allready if it is a forged steal crank.

Yea Phil, that's a forged crank ya got and therefore internally balanced and your vibration dampener is wrong as it belongs to a cast crank. I can't answer your question about the 318 flywheel, sorry. I also read where you found a 187 pan which was good however check to make sure it's got the baffle plate in the bottom and if not I'd highly recommend getting one installed and a milodon windage tray (not mopars tray).

Terry

Yea Phil, that's a forged crank ya got and therefore internally balanced and your vibration dampener is wrong as it belongs to a cast crank. I can't answer your question about the 318 flywheel, sorry. I also read where you found a 187 pan which was good however check to make sure it's got the baffle plate in the bottom and if not I'd highly recommend getting one installed and a milodon windage tray (not mopars tray).

Terry

what does the baffle plate do?

It keeps a little oil in the bottom of the pan during hard acceleration otherwise all of it would want to go all the way to the back of the pan which would be away from the oil pickup. One other thing, that first picture you posted, of the dampener, in there any wording cast into the flat face on the end of the dampener, your spray bottle head is kinda pointing to the area.

Terry

anyone else think that it is a froged Crank. I trust you demon seed, I just want to be 100 % sure befor I buy the flywheel.

Anyone need a balance????? see first pic up top if interested.

Phil

PS way to resolve the issue earlier guys.=D>

that is definetly a external balance balancer, see the offset weight thats in the bottom part of the balancer. its the wrong one for that crank.
the crank is forged by the looks of it. a cast crank will usually have sharp edges and thin parting lines and maybe casting flash.
i have a 318 flywheel on my 440 in my pu. as long as its 6 bolt and doesnt have big holes drilled or extra weight cast on the backside you should be ok

Ok. First of all.....

I NOW KNOW THAT I HAVE THE WRONG BALANCER ON THE ENGINE. IT WILL BE TAKEN OFF. I have NOT started this engine with it on, so no harm done.

Now, back to the 318 flywheel idea. I have been looking around on the internet and I see that 318 engines are internally balanced. So is My 440. So that means I should be able to just put it on my engine...Right?

I have a 318 flywheel...this could save me lots of moola!

It keeps a little oil in the bottom of the pan during hard acceleration otherwise all of it would want to go all the way to the back of the pan which would be away from the oil pickup. One other thing, that first picture you posted, of the dampener, in there any wording cast into the flat face on the end of the dampener, your spray bottle head is kinda pointing to the area.

Terry

yeah, it says use with 440 cast crank only. didn't know I had a forged crank when i put it on. oops

anyone want the balancer??? i don't need it. Might help recoop some costs. ;)

You guys have all been Very Helpfull.

Thank you.

One more part that I do need is a clutch fork for a Big block Bell housing casting # 2892513. 10.5 inch.

I have found out that a 10 7/8 overall length fork is what I need. and that it came out of a 1966-up B/E body, 1967-1069 A body big block, 1970 -74 E body 1971-74 B body small/big block

I don't have a part number for the fork, so If you have the Number, or the fork, and you want to sell it.....
PLEASE LET ME KNOW :icon_smi:

-
Back