440 frankenstein idenification help plz!

-

moparberk

Reaction score
hey guys! spent last night trying to figure out exactly what all i have here.. i have reached a point where im going to have to ask for help from the more knowledgeable guys! from what i have found out, the 440 block i have, block casting number is 4006630-440-7, was cast in 75, but was placed in a 78 motor home, and from my understanding, which is pretty limited here, the motorhome engines came with kind of a wimpy cam, and low compression pistons. well this is where things start to get wierd. the exhaustmanifolds are HP b-body manifolds, 3751071 and whatever the other sides number is, and the pistons from what i understand are not the low compression ones based off of how high they come at TDC. to top it off, it had aluminium valve covers. either this was a projuect that was never finished or someone had a screaming wini camper. anyone have any insight here?

heres some photos if they help
20181025_164416.jpg
20181025_164710.jpg
20180904_183245.jpg
20180904_183136.jpg

Passenger side, down low - is there a partial VIN?

Up top, flat pad near the distributor - what is stamped there?

Photos of both?

That block casting was used from late 75 thru the end of production.

Engine blocks from 440 Source.com

The 452 cast heads were a later version comparable to the 906 castings. But they had induction hardening on the valve seats. So that’s pretty much run of the mill. Trying to gauge by the picture I’m guessing the pistons at TDC are probably around .180” in the hole, this combined with the cylinder head chamber that if I recall correct is 88+cc is a normal late model 440 low compression engine. The manifolds and valve covers were maybe installed to gain something or the originals were cracked and replaced maybe. Not cutting on you but this is what I’m seeing from my experiences. Did you pull the engine out of the RV yourself? I ask because “most” motorhome transmissions I’ve seen have a brake drum mechanism on the tail for emergency brakes. As far as casting dates it’s very possible that a 75 cast block could end up being used in 78 or someone did a motor change at some point.

That block casting was used from late 75 thru the end of production.

Engine blocks from 440 Source.com

The 452 cast heads were a later version comparable to the 906 castings. But they had induction hardening on the valve seats. So that’s pretty much run of the mill. Trying to gauge by the picture I’m guessing the pistons at TDC are probably around .180” in the hole, this combined with the cylinder head chamber that if I recall correct is 88+cc is a normal late model 440 low compression engine. The manifolds and valve covers were maybe installed to gain something or the originals were cracked and replaced maybe. Not cutting on you but this is what I’m seeing from my experiences. Did you pull the engine out of the RV yourself? I ask because “most” motorhome transmissions I’ve seen have a brake drum mechanism on the tail for emergency brakes. As far as casting dates it’s very possible that a 75 cast block could end up being used in 78 or someone did a motor change at some point.
no, i didnt pull it myself lol.. i was just going off of the casting number on the block lol.. so if this is one of the lower compression models, what do i need to look out for? i want to wake it up a little, but addressing any isues that this gen of 440 had would be my 1st priority

If that's as high up in the bore as the pistons come in the first picture in post #2, it is indeed a low compression engine. Nothing wrong with low compression. You can make good power and still run on pump gas.

Not a thing in the world “wrong” with it. The one i put in my Demon came out of a motorhome. But all I used was the block. The low comp engines can be made to run very well based on combination of parts. IQ52 if I remember had a thread here on a low comp BB that made some very good numbers. It’s in the part combo, don’t overcam etc. The #2 main area should use the main bearings with the larger thrust bearing also, which isn’t a bad thing. The engine I used was a little earlier year and actually had 6 pack rods in it and a double roller timing set and I believe it had never been apart. Don’t be surprised at what you find out of the factory.

I might add that the oil pan and pickup are rear sump which tells me used in a truck. If the mount brackets are truck there’s some demand now and then for the oil pan and brackets so I wouldn’t just toss them.

Last edited:
Not a thing in the world “wrong” with it. The one i put in my Demon came out of a motorhome. But all I used was the block. The low comp engines can be made to run very well based on combination of parts. IQ52 if I remember had a thread here on a low comp BB that made some very good numbers. It’s in the part combo, don’t overcam etc. The #2 main area should use the main bearings with the larger thrust bearing also, which isn’t a bad thing. The engine I used was a little earlier year and actually had 6 pack rods in it and a double roller timing set and I believe it had never been apart. Don’t be surprised at what you find out of the factory.

I might add that the oil pan and pickup are rear sump which tells me used in a truck. If the mount brackets are truck there’s some demand now and then for the oil pan and brackets so I wouldn’t just toss them.
the mounts and pan are both for a truck, the mounts are salvageable, but the pan has a huge dent in the bottom of it. just emailed yearone tech support today about the oil pan they have listed as a B / RB a-body pan. if it will clear the steering, im gonna fab up a windage tray and run that lol!

The water pump outlets near the dist look off to me. Don't they normally come down a little lower on the block? I'll need to look at my 440 tomorrow and see.

-
Back