440 from an rv?

-

fanboatman

Mopar nut
Reaction score
I am going to look at a 440 with presumably a 727 in a 71 Winnebago tommorow. Is there anything different about the rv motors that would make the swap into my demon more difficult? The guy is going to sell it with all accessories and wiring. I just want to know if there is any major difference in the rv motor and trans than would be with a swap from a car motor and trans. Thanks for the help.

The tranny is going to have a shorter tailshaft and cable operated trans brake...you will probably want to source a different tranny....thus the kickdown linkage will be trash too....the RV's also ran some of their accessories different....specially the A/C...the good thing that if it the original 71 motor it will have a forged crank and heavy duty six pack rods....I am running a 73 RV block...I reused the crank and connecting rods.

Where would the casting numbers be located? The casting numbers on the block shoul tell me the cubic inches and the year right? Also, could I use the trans if I found a car or truck 727 for the tailshaft and other parts to make it work? Would a small block trans have the right tailshaft and other parts? One last thing is what are the head casting model numbers, where are they, and what heads are best? Thanks again for the help.

Casting number on side of block, cubic inch on stamp pad near distributor. Head casting under valve cover, 906's are the best. Cant tell you much about the trans but I do think you will need a new one if it is a shorty.

I have a '74 Winnebago 440/727 in one of my cars. Both slipped right in. The transmission was a regular A/B/C/E body style. Heads are probably 452's (they are on mine anyway). I definitely wouldn't say 906's are the best heads. They only flow marginally better than 452's or 902's, if they flow better at all, and the 452's and 902's will already have hardened valve seats.

Ok, so I went and checked it out. It is a '73 not a '71, 440 with 452 heads. The trans has the long tailshft and no trans brake. I am going to pick it up as soon as he gets it out.

Ok, so I went and checked it out. It is a '73 not a '71, 440 with 452 heads. The trans has the long tailshft and no trans brake. I am going to pick it up as soon as he gets it out.
Good deal, isn't nice asking some questions...now you know you will have a forged crank and six pack rods...I hade my crank turned and balanced...I had my six pack rods resized and had ARP wave lock bolt installed in them....there is nothing wrong with the RV trannys also...they usually have 4 gear planatary gears instead of 3 gear mostly found in car trannys..so they have some good parts also...

Good deal, isn't nice asking some questions...now you know you will have a forged crank and six pack rods...I hade my crank turned and balanced...I had my six pack rods resized and had ARP wave lock bolt installed in them....there is nothing wrong with the RV trannys also...they usually have 4 gear planatary gears instead of 3 gear mostly found in car trannys..so they have some good parts also...

Not all the RV 440's were external balanced with six pack rods though. My '74 is factory internal with regular rods and a cast crank. Had to take mine out to get the hole drilled in the back for a 4 speed.

Not all the RV 440's were external balanced with six pack rods though. My '74 is factory internal with regular rods and a cast crank. Had to take mine out to get the hole drilled in the back for a 4 speed.
73 was the last year for the forged crank and the six pack rods....also the torque convertor had a weight welded to it...I was told this was done to make up for the weight of the rods...I don't know if this is true....8)

I didn't know to look if it was internal or externally balanced, but it is a 440 either way. I will probably put a cam and intake in it and drive it til it needs to be refreshed. It has 79k on it. I have a lot of work to do before the car will be ready for it. I saw it and did not want to pass it up. I got the motor, trans, and all accesories minus the a/c compressor for $500, I didn't think that was too bad. Also it has an edelbrock carb on it. Thanks for all the help as I am sure I will need more in the future.

My 440 RV motor was a 73 block , 74 heads , forged crank with 6 pack rods , low compression motor .
It also has extra cooling passages for the heads.
The tranny was a 727 with the same tailshaft as a car , they have HD internals .
It was perfect for a stroker motor :) I sold the crank, rods and balancer to help on the stroker kit .
Most had low mileage on them

Good luck.

-
Back