440 headers/plug wire Question

-

Cliffjumper

Reaction score
I've got a 440 with Schumacher swap and headers in my 68 Barracuda. The headers are bare. I'm using an MSD 6 with Helicore wires. Got a bit of a problem. I go through plug wires every season! Burn up and crack, they're just too close to the headers. Anything I can do to prevent this? Should I wrap the headers or get them ceramic coated? (gets too hot in there anyways)

You can purchase insulators you slip over the wires in different lengths. Got mine from Summit, they work.
Here is a couple pics.

engine 4-08 006.jpg

engine 4-08 008.jpg

Right on.. did some reseach and Jeg's has header wrap for $20, heard they hold moisture tho. I really need to cut down on the heat the headers throw off. Have to remove them anyway, how much does it cost to get them ceramic coated?

Schumacher gets around $225.00 extra for ceramic to give you an idea.

www.engineceramics.com is $160.00

I use the right angle plug boots and I don't have any problems with plug wires. Same set for 4 years.

I use the right angle plug boots and I don't have any problems with plug wires. Same set for 4 years.

Good idea DusterDon. Just ordered a new set yesterday so I'll have to give it a try.
Taking my headers off today and I desided to wrap em'. Removed some surface rust in a few spots and it appears they've been painted a while ago. Want to get the Barracuda back on the road soon... I'll pop up with a before and after pic later on.
Thanks for the info guys!

You might reconsider wrapping them. I've heard that the srapping can cause the headers to prematurely rust. I'd rather send them out to be coated. Try Jet Hot.

get some spark plug heat wrap and dont wrap the headers the will rust out in a hurry . ive got heat wrap on my plug wires been using for 8 years no problems .

I have MSD wire's on my CUDA, and I had to change all the boot's from straight to a 90 so they would fit good and stay away from headers . I ran the wire's under and it's looks very clean and you can remove valve cover's off for adjust if needed. just my thought on this.

I have MSD wire's on my CUDA, and I had to change all the boot's from straight to a 90 so they would fit good and stay away from headers . I ran the wire's under and it's looks very clean and you can remove valve cover's off for adjust if needed. just my thought on this.
DAM!! i quoted wrog one il get this figurd out what killercuda said
bair with me boys old dog new trik..:newb:

Yep....10+yrs.,2 diff. motors,same wires,0 problems!

one more reason why i love my fenderwells . never burnt a single boot or wire .

:wink:

talk to pheonix specialty coatings. she is a fellow member her and has good prices from what i have seen. i would rather coat them plus they look better lol. then the wrap intulator stuff that goes on the plugwire boots them selves. that seems the best to me. i think mallery has heat shrink type stuff that looks really sharp and fits tighter on the wire. i saw it in summit. i bet that would fix it right there

Cool guys thanks for your opinions! I did some research and ran into a guy near Trenton, NJ that has a powdercoating shop, Johnson's Powdercoating. The shop is only 50mi. from my house so that will save for shipping. Going to get them coated sometime next week. Bought a new set of Helicore wires, extra 90 degree boots and Pro-boot gaurds from MSD. That should do it, look great and help my cause. With all of the above and a scooped hood that should keep things cooled down.
Ya know with me going to that Powdercoating shop i'm gunna want to get more stuff done...

:toothy10: FABO #1

We calculated that we didn't have enough room for the extra thickness if we coated the headers in my car. You may want to check the thickness first ](*,)

The Pro-Parts headers I'm running are at Nitro-Plate in Nashville being coated right now. They say the coating is only .001 thick. $330, but they're big headers in 9 pieces...

-
Back