440 in a Duster, cost

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
The reason im putting this in general discussions is because all i want to know is how low buck i can go with basically swapping the drivetrain.

So im getting $3000 back on taxes. Im wonderingif i can pull it off within that budget.

Here's a list of things i have.
440 block and heads (cost me $350)
727 with the correct tailshaft (free with the 440)
8.75 with a 3.23 open gear
Stock iron intake
B/RB truck manifolds and a drivers side HP manifold
Sum 6400 cam
Correct oil pan

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank yhe mopar community for being so generous to me. The big hurdle was the 8.75. I was about to give up and get a 9 inch when i found one on craigslist for $375 with axles and backing plates up in Mount Pocono.

Heres what i need:
Bbp front dosc brake kit
Bbp rear axles and drums
All of the transmission peripherals
Driveshaft
Wheels
Radiator and fan
Engine mounts
Kickdown linkage

I believe this is it, please let me know if i need, or should get anything else. Foes anyone think this can be done with $3000?

Once again thanks to all the members who have helped me out with cheap parts, you know who you are and are helping me achieve one of my dream cars.

I believe it could be done if you do all the work yourself. My brother put together a duster drag car awhile back for $6500.00 but it took a lot of searching for good deals and "buddies" to get such a build done. He used a lot of high dollar stuff bought used at good prices.

IMG_20150807_200135.jpg

Fortunately (and why im getting 3 grand back) i attend auto school where labor is free because we're all slaves (read: students) so i can get everyone to put some effort into it and get credit for it. None of the students besides some oldheads, the teachers, and me know what a carbutetor even is so i feel like i might have to do all the work myself

That's a plus, machine work is usually the most costly thing, if your in school and have access to machine work tools and do all the work yourself you should be able to achieve it. I built my first Mopar in auto shop in highschool back in 1979-1980.

The machine shop at school only charges a nominal fee for stuff. Porting heads is the most expensive thing at $12 a head. Thanks for the response. I can't wait get this thing running!

Believe me, your time building your own car and the learning experience in school will be priceless to you in the future, you may feel like a slave now but you will really miss those days in the years to come!

Bbp front dosc brake kit $500.00 scarebird kit
Bbp rear axles and drums $100.00 for used axles, maybe another $100 for new brake parts?
All of the transmission peripherals $100.00 used on fabo (really, what do you need? just a linkage and a NSS, right?
Driveshaft $150.00 custom made
Wheels $0.00 (remember the front brakes? by using that kit we're staying small bolt pattern, an were using your old wheels)
Radiator and fan $250.00 for a new radiator and $35.00 for a used fan and spacer
Engine mounts $150.00 for a shumacher conversion mount kit
Kickdown linkage $80.00 for a lokar kickdown cable (might as well make it easy on yourself)

i think i added up to $1465.00?
maybe we should add another $195.00 to that to go with a set of new axles from Dr. diff?
that puts you at $1660.00
a little more if you want to install a ratchet shifter instead of the stock linkage (not a bad idea, i think)

and that leaves another grand for everything we over looked (im leaving the other $340.00 for tires)

Thanks for the math! I have some parts i can sell too since i won't be using the sbp axles and backing plates or the 383 block i have.
$1400 for the inevitable parts that were forgotten and parts that will break is excellent.

Unfortunately the wheels that are on the duster are junk. Someonebody wanted to make a third world drag car with the 225 so what they did was put 13s with some truly small tires on the front and some regular 15s on the back. They need replaced immediately.

Whatever money is left over is going right to rust prevention then i'm going to save for a decent paint job.
20171103_133908.jpg

-
Back