440 motorhome questions

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
I have a 78 Dodge Motorhome, something like 76,000 miles, and have afew questions. A guy at work is interested in the motor/transmission for his small block ramcharger, will this work, just as soon be straight up with him, and what is a fair price for the motor and tranny.
Thanks

manifolds, engine mounts; oil pan and oil pickup are all different as well as the transmission is bigblock specific and the motor home likely has a short shaft transmission and he needs a long shaft also if his ramcharger is 4wd he might be in for quite a search to find a transmission, yes it will work but its not a drop in engine

I took a big block out of a van and ended up changing most of the above to put in a truck

What size motor home, some were in van chassis and will bolt right in a pickup.
The tranny is a no go unless its a 2wd ramcharger.
I had a 1976 factory 440 auto air-conditioned extended cab 3/4 power wagon, if you post some photos we can help you out.

Only can use the block and internals. Cant use heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, or water pump and housing.

NOT always true.
In many cases, the MH engines used common Heads/Intake/Exhaust manifolds. I have two that were very similar to any other 440 except for the oil pan.

Posting a couple pics would help. The 440 I pulled from a MH was almost a drop into my Satellite had to change exhaust manifolds,oil pan,pick up tube and a 727 for a car.

My guess as to WIW would be 500.00 if i could hear it run before you pull it. I have bought them for 300.00

It will work because most motor homes were built on truck chassis, Although 4wd and 2wd big block truck mounts are different. If it has a rear sump pan it will fit the ramcharger. Also he can swap his transfer case and tailstock onto the big block transmission to make it 4wd. You just have to change out the input shafts.

What size motor home, some were in van chassis and will bolt right in a pickup.
The tranny is a no go unless its a 2wd ramcharger.
I had a 1976 factory 440 auto air-conditioned extended cab 3/4 power wagon, if you post some photos we can help you out.

a van looks like it will bolt in but won't, I ended up changing the motor mounts and drivers side manifold to get a van motor to fit a dodge D150 2wd

-
Back