440 next steps

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
Intake manifold. I have heard/read/youtubed and there is no consensus on gaskets.

The most common one is to just use the tin valley pan, only RTV in areas that can leak oil, none on the intake ports.

Second is just valley pan, with RTV on the ports, both head side and intake side.

then some with one set of paper, and some with two sets of paper.

So, thoughts? Would appreciate any clarity here.

Eddie aluminum heads and mopar dual plane (eddie) intake for more info.

As an update, primed engine yesterday, oil is getting everywhere including my garage floor lol. The rockers did not seem to want to get oil, then they suddenly got all the oil and not at the same time side to side. Turned engine 1/4 turn at a time while priming to ensure it got everywhere. 55 lbs at full tilt, but I do have a bit higher tolerance using stock crank with a polish and new std bearings (plastigaged them).

Last edited:
Mine I just used the valley pan, no other gaskets at the heads, and I believe a little RTV in the corners. It's b
een good for almost a decade now.

Since you have both an aluminum intake and aluminum heads, I would use paper on both sides of the steel valley pan (dissimilar metals). If you had iron heads, I would just use paper on the aluminum manifold side; iron heads/iron manifold would get no paper, etc.
RTV is personal preference, just don't get carried away with it. Thin skim coats.

Prof. is right- additional paper goes toward aluminum. RTV in corners, some around ports is OK.

If u have to put any kind of sealant around the ports u obviously have a problem. I have never had to do a mickey mouse job like that in over 40 years of being a professional mechanic. Kim

Intake manifold. I have heard/read/youtubed and there is no consensus on gaskets.

The most common one is to just use the tin valley pan, only RTV in areas that can leak oil, none on the intake ports.

Second is just valley pan, with RTV on the ports, both head side and intake side.

then some with one set of paper, and some with two sets of paper.

So, thoughts? Would appreciate any clarity here.

Eddie aluminum heads and mopar dual plane (eddie) intake for more info.

As an update, primed engine yesterday, oil is getting everywhere including my garage floor lol. The rockers did not seem to want to get oil, then they suddenly got all the oil and not at the same time side to side. Turned engine 1/4 turn at a time while priming to ensure it got everywhere. 55 lbs at full tilt, but I do have a bit higher tolerance using stock crank with a polish and new std bearings (plastigaged them).
With a drill? 55 is killer. Think about it, it'd take a hell of a drill to match a revving Mopar!

Been using the tin valley trays for years. Only put a small amount of RTV/Silicone in the 4 corners of the head/block/tray areas. I've even reused the valley tray pan a few times without any issues.

-
Back