440 oil pump ?

-

alex perini

Reaction score
What is suggested for the 500 hp range for oil pumps is the standard melling oil pump fine or do I need a high volume I have a 440 with a hemi 6qt pan

I would probably go with the high volume pump. It won't hurt. Some of the high volume pumps have the high pressure relief springs which boost the pressure to around 75 psi cold. The standard pressure relief springs were around 55 psi cold. High volume with standard pressure is usually the way to go with a modified street driven car.

HVP and also get the larger pickup tube and drill the block and tap it.

Drill the oil passage in the block and pump to 1/2 inch. and radius the turn. Where it dead ends at the turn that is where it cavitates. My son is doing Dave 400 replacement motor. I saw they ordered one for that also. So I can have him or Dave "69383valiant" take pics of that.

This is a mod that is done on hemi's they build for nostagia dragsters. without a dry sump.

Last edited:
HVP and also get the larger pickup tube and drill the block and tap it.

Drill the oil passage in the block and pump to 1/2 inch. and radius the turn. Where it dead ends at the turn that is where it cavitates. My son is doing Dave 400 replacement motor. I saw they ordered one for that also. So I can have him or Dave "69383valiant" take pics of that.

This is a mod that is done on hemi's they build for nostagia dragsters. without a dry sump.
426 hemi`s already have a 1/2" pick up from the factory. The oil passage mod does helpl.

-
Back