440 piston ring question

-

anitrowarrior9

Reaction score
So just looking for some thoughts here. Im building a .040 over 440. Which is the same bore size as a standard bore 460 ford at 4.360. I have a ring set for the Ford, speed pro pn E-296k. I bought used pistons that had rings on it so I did some measuring. The 2nd ring and oil rings are the same, the top ring has the same axial thickness but is thinner in the radial thickness measurement. I know this is a common thing with new performance and oem builds but it typically comes with a thinner ring pack. This is a 5/64,5/64,3/16 set up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rings are size specific not application specific. You can use any ring that has the correct dimensions. You can also buy single rings to fit your needs.

Yes, I have used the rings listed as 460 Ford for a 0.040" over 440, simply because 0.040" over 440 is not as common, as say 0.030" over, and the 460 marketed rings are much more available. Another example from my experience decades ago when I raced 426w motors was the overlap between BB Chevy rings.

It's all about the specification dimensions. That said, different brands of rings and ring tension variations can result differing "radial dimensions" that will work as long as the rest of specs match.

Normal rings are typically SAE “D wall” radial thickness, which is bore diameter divided by 22.
So, for a 4.360 bore the ring should have a radial thickness of .198”.

The should not protrude out beyond the groove when fully seated.

-
Back