440 pulled out

-

robs 67plymouth

motown graffiti crusier
Reaction score
just pulled my donor engine out of motorhome. got some work cut out for me on the pad just right of hold down clamp on a pad it sas 5t 440 . anybody know wat that means ? thanks who ever bought it new gad put hooker headers on it and all the info was in glove box including old hooker sales book newspaper thing pretty cool and it has 452 heads

the header gaskets said honest georges gaskets san bernadino ca

100_3467 [] [].jpg

100_3465 [].jpg

That looks like one heavy son-of-a----...er....well, you get my drift.

How did you load it? LOL

i had to take the bumper and that front crossmember out. then i had to cut the dash of mh up because the hoist hit bottom of dash . once that was done jacked up motor off mounts and hooked my truck with a rope to bottom of hoist and eased it out enough, that i backed my truck underneath it and bam it was mine. it was heavy

Have You Chkd Out The Dampner On It To See If It Was A Cast Or Forged Crank [ Thin Balancer With No Weights Has Forged Crank And Cast Crank Has Thicker Balancer With Offset Weight ] I Have Seen These With Forged Cranks In Them As Far Up As 76.......

Have You Chkd Out The Dampner On It To See If It Was A Cast Or Forged Crank [ Thin Balancer With No Weights Has Forged Crank And Cast Crank Has Thicker Balancer With Offset Weight ] I Have Seen These With Forged Cranks In Them As Far Up As 76.......

Please remind a newbie here which is preferred and why?

It Is A Cast Crank, Not That That Is Bad, Still A 440 And Will Always Be A Great Motor....to Answer The Forged/cast Crank Question , Forged Is A Better Crank Of The 2--being Tougher And Stronger Unit Overall But, A Cast Crank Is Lighter And More Flexable And Good Up To 555hp When It Is Balanced It Will Weigh Aprox 3-5 Lbs. Less Than A Forged Crank [ Thats A Alot Of Recipericating Weight ] Forged Cranks Were What They Used In All Bblk Motors Until 73 Or So [as Legend Has It, Not Always True] Cast Cranks Were Externally Balanced By Harmonic Balancer/weights On Torque Convertor/weighted Flywheel...and Forged Was Internally Balanced [ Or Neutral Balance ] Hope This Helps And Not Confusing...............and Rob ..good Luck On Your Build

So either is ok for "sane" builds then? Just need to know which you have to balance properly if required?

What about the "steel cranks" I ahve heard about in the 340s....the steel is preferred?

-
Back