440 question

-

devo

Reaction score
Can some body on the forum please tell me weather or not they made or any such thing as a 440 R/T block did they make one?Or is my mate getting mixed up with the HP block?And what is the difference between a HP block and normal 440?
Thanks for any imput
Davo
NZ

I do not believe they made an RT block. The block on an HP was the same as a standard B/RB but the internals were High Performance (cam, compression, heads, carb.)

i think on most B and RB in the late 60s. the color will tell you if its a HP or mild engine. the mild engine was turquoise in color. and the high performance was orange. but i think there was two orange colors. and iam not real clear on the orange. one was HP B and RBs? one was on the HEMI? i think. but like all chrysler isusses never say never. my 1965 300 L 413 was a HP engine but was turquoise.

As far as I am aware, Mopar B/RB blocks were as follows:

The Mopar Engine Blue blocks were Police use.
The Mopar Engine Turquoise blocks were "Mild" set ups, IE Cam, Heads, Crank, intake.
The Mopar Engine Orange were the HP set ups, Again IE Cam, Heads, Crank, Intake.

I did not know or know of ANY "440's" to be painted "Hemi Orange" so. But yes there were 2 different shades of Mopar engine orange.....

There was also Mopar Engine Red as well.....Not seen on ANY RB engines that I'm aware of! Only LA type engines....And Slant 6 engines.

Again, I do not know of ANY "R/T" based engines, or addressed as, those may have been the HP engines but never known as "R/T" engines.....

Ok the casting number on the side of my block which is black and so is my mates block is also black, anyway numbers are :2536430-6 12-6-1969 R/B F code
The difference is his has HP stamped into on the top close to the dizzy.So theirs no difference in the castings?no special mix when poring the block like wee were told? I did think it all was a bit ridiculous for the factory to do that.So the only difference between them and im not measuring penises here chaps but like you guys say cam,heads,intake,crank?

The non hp and hp blocks/crank/pistons on the 68-69 were the same compression. 10:1 the HP engine had a higher lift cam, dual exhaust, different springs for the higher lift. The Blocks were the same. my 69' had a windage tray as well. The R/T and GTX has a stamped HP block.

Can some body on the forum please tell me weather or not they made or any such thing as a 440 R/T block did they make one?Or is my mate getting mixed up with the HP block?And what is the difference between a HP block and normal 440?
Thanks for any imput
Davo
NZ

In 1967,

In some literature, Dodge did call the 440 Engine the R/T , when installed in the 'new' Coronet R/T . But there was nothing special {in the casting} in the Block itself.

No such thing as specific (eg. different than the others) R/T blocks. The late 70 early 80 440's were sometimes referred to as RV (Rec Vehicle) blocks or more common term "Motorhome blocks".

Terry

Thankyou for the info guys.So what does the F-code on my block stand for and the numbers mean 2536430-6 12-6-1969 am aware that the last few numbers are the date code and will they tell me what is this huge lump of iron out of??

The engine is complete acid dipped and cleaned however in bits wrapped in plastic on a pallet it was shipped to me 2 years ago have never opened it to check it or nothing. except for the numbers.The guy I bought it off was gonna stroke it but house and kids etc I picked it up for a song I was set on putting the 318 I have into my A bodie valiant (aussie) but needs pretty much new everything including machining and is also seized but im not so sure now none of this cream is working on the big block itch

-
Back