440 question

-

WmBaldwin57

Reaction score
My son has a Coronet with a 440 in it, I need to have a repair made so I was looking for a spare 440 short block and someone found a 440 that is in an old from a '78 RV. Is this the same 440 or is it incompatiable with the one I have?

They made a 440-3 which was used in RV's in the early years that had a few differences than a automotive 440. But a 78 was probably the same as a car 440. One look at the water pump housing, pump on the 440-3 type and you can tell the difference. I have a 440 pu truck short block in fL if that helps?

The 78 block is probably better than the one in your son's car...but the crank and other internal parts in your son's car are probably better...I hope I didn't confuse you....8)

So it sounds like I may be able to tell a difference in water pumps between the two? I believe my son's was a 1968, it is not original to the 65 Coronet. So did they not use as strong a crank in the later years? Are there years I should stay away from? It almost sounds like it is worth a look at the very least. But if it doesn't work out I will keep Florida in mind. My son get's transferred to Mayport in October, good excuse to come your way. I'm working on his cars while he is in the Navy.

So it sounds like I may be able to tell a difference in water pumps between the two? I believe my son's was a 1968, it is not original to the 65 Coronet. So did they not use as strong a crank in the later years? Are there years I should stay away from? It almost sounds like it is worth a look at the very least. But if it doesn't work out I will keep Florida in mind. My son get's transferred to Mayport in October, good excuse to come your way. I'm working on his cars while he is in the Navy.
Come to Houston...I have a 73 long block with forged crank and six pack rods.......what happened after 73 is they made improvements to the blocks inside and out but went to cast cranks...with external balance...cast cranks aren't bad for daily drivers but not good if you are going to build a motor...8)

-
Back