440 rear main seal... thoughts

-
Hughes Engines has a very involved procedure and some have had success with it.
I know how you feel!!
That's funny. Hughes rebuilt my best friend's 440. It's had a rear main leak since then, which quickly ruined the dual-disc clutch they swore he'd need for an all-iron-manifold engine. He got it down to just a very slight weep but it still spots the garage floor, which drives him nuts. It never leaked a drop before being rebuilt. I'm going to mention the Fast Fish part to him, though, along with possibly having the cap ground a bit. Hopefully one, the other, or both will finally put a stop to it.

You know you can get a one piece rear main seal for our engines, right?

I always slightly clock the seal and have never had a leak. Nothing is going to line up two seal halves any better than clocking the seal away from the parting line.

I use the factory seal retainer, alignment pins, offset the seal halves slightly above the parting lines, and the retainer/block alignment goes where it needs to go. No leaks ever.
still wont work if the stocker wasn`t machined right ...

still wont work if the stocker wasn`t machined right ...

For sure. Major misalignment is more of a problem when switching from the more forgiving production line rope seal to the neoprene. Some of the rope seals even leaked when new.

Last edited:
For sure. Major misalignment is more of a problem when switching from the more forgiving production line rope seal to the neoprene. Some of the rope seals even leaked when new.
we switched a neo seal on the hemi (back in the day) , just for ease of install. , but never had a problem on it either way , street hemi`s were machined "right" , never found one thing that wasn`t like the factory said ir was ...

-
Back