440 rebuild need help

-

canttuchmymopar

Reaction score
I have a bone stock 440 from 4-7-68 this motor had never been taken apart its seized up but only by the rings the rest of the motor looks nice even bearings and cam lifters all is well inside the motor what I need to know is what rings cam bearings do I need can I reuse them they have no scarring whatsoever and the cylinders just need to be honed no pitting anywhere I might go with a aftermarket cam but I can handle that myself. Any help on this will be appreciated im not that experienced and what I do know has always been on my little 318 and 360's. Also seems to have 413 heads on it? I was told before 413 heads wont fit on a 440. Is this true?

Do yourself a favor and let a machine shop determine what you will need to do...if you can do it break down the entire engine take the heads, crankshaft....pistons and connecting rods along with the block and main bearing caps....let them hot tank the block and magaflux it to check for cracks....go on from there if it checks out good....It will have to been honed and probably bored first..as a minimum I would have them line bore the mains...install the cam bearing and install the freeze plugs the rest is up to you.....check out this thread of mine that shows a good view on how to install a 440 in an A body....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...t=96239&page=1 8)

-
Back