440 score for the altered!

-

funnycar farmer

Reaction score
This morning, I think I bagged what I feel is a good score for a drivetrain:

'72 440 motorhome engine/trans, complete down to the Thermo-quad, and electrics mounted on a steel plate. Looks like a forged crank as well. 30,000 mile engine that when we pulled off the valve covers looked real nice! It looks to all be original, but would a Thermo-Quad have been factory installed on a 72-73 drivetrain? A forged crank as well? I thought most came with cast crankshafts?Also, it has a shorter tailshaft 727 with a HUGE yoke. Heavy duty to say the least? Damn, the engine is just barely broken in at this mileage. I felt like I stole it, paying $400.00 for everything, its so complete. Deal? No deal?

Nice score.

TQ would likely be standard on a 72-73 440 in a motorhome

Cast cranks didn't become real prevalent until 74-75. Lots of 73's had steel cranks, especially HD units like in a motorhome.

I have a '72 440 in the same configuration; steel crank with a ThermoQuad supposedly from a cop car. Mine has the '346' heads which are not terrible castings, but supposedly not as good as the later '452's. My block has the stiffening ribs for cold weather which apparently is a desirable and rare option to have in an RB. The block warmer plug was still installed when I got it. I paid $400 for it years ago.

Sounds like you hit a home run. Congrats! It should make a great foundation for a big motor in the altered. The purists will now speak to you again. Lol! 30k miles is good but when you consider its been propelling 20 thousand pounds around it puts everything in perspective.

We are trying to put together a package for a possible build-up. Junkyard motorhome wars!! Budget build-ups. :cheers: WE'll see what comes from SEMA, when Chrysler sees it. I hope they can pitch in with some help.

I just got word that the Dart will appear in some capacity in the February issue of CarCraft Magazine. That'll be nice. Most likely a background something or other, but hey, at least it gets in there.

This morning, I think I bagged what I feel is a good score for a drivetrain:

'72 440 motorhome engine/trans, complete down to the Thermo-quad, and electrics mounted on a steel plate. Looks like a forged crank as well. 30,000 mile engine that when we pulled off the valve covers looked real nice! It looks to all be original, but would a Thermo-Quad have been factory installed on a 72-73 drivetrain? A forged crank as well? I thought most came with cast crankshafts?Also, it has a shorter tailshaft 727 with a HUGE yoke. Heavy duty to say the least? Damn, the engine is just barely broken in at this mileage. I felt like I stole it, paying $400.00 for everything, its so complete. Deal? No deal?

Funnycar Farmer - your ride it totally bitchen! I just got a complete 440 for $450 and I had to pull it. I thought that was a sweet deal! I think you topped it!

Looks like after my Dart's SEMA debut last week, Fastest Street Car Magazine wants to use my 440 as a possible foundation for a mondo stroker, possibly blown and injected,to use in some of their series races. They are talking running nines, I'm talking about to you-know-what-in my pants. That means re-building the cage to get it certified, safety gear, and I guess it'll be ditch the drum brakes. Think I'll just let them know I'm looking for 10.80's off pump gas. May not happen for a couple month's, but that'll give me time to get a recipe together.

Looks like after my Dart's SEMA debut last week, Fastest Street Car Magazine wants to use my 440 as a possible foundation for a mondo stroker, possibly blown and injected,to use in some of their series races. They are talking running nines, I'm talking about to you-know-what-in my pants. That means re-building the cage to get it certified, safety gear, and I guess it'll be ditch the drum brakes. Think I'll just let them know I'm looking for 10.80's off pump gas. May not happen for a couple month's, but that'll give me time to get a recipe together.

Sounds like things are looking up funnycar farmer. Best of luck!

-
Back