440 stroker roller rocker adjustment help

-

moparisbest

Reaction score
I'm new to this as I've always had stock rockers on all my mopar's and have never had a Chevy so I don't know how to adjust rockers the engine builder told me I need to set them at 0 lash then go a half turn and lock them down. and is it normal to have to adjust them after 1000 miles are so ? a little back ground on the engine it has comp cam, hydro flat tappet lifters, smith bro push rods and aluminum 6.1 roller rockers

that is a correct statement. you don't use a feeler gauge, you spin the pushrod with your fingers until you feel a slight drag, then 1/4 turn more and lock 'em

thanks bob . does anyone know if its normal to have to adjust them after only 1000 miles?

No I don't think hydraulic lifters should need any adjustment at all after the initial one. 1/2 turn is probably about about .020" preload. If you wore something more than .020" in 1000 miles, causing the lifter preload to loosen enough to start rattling, there is a serious problem somewhere. When you adjusted them initially did you follow a procedure like this? [ame]http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/Valveadjustmentprocedure.pdf[/ame]
It's the only really good way to adjust them.

I didn't do the initial adjustment the engine builder did before the dyno brake in of the cam and rings . they did a few dyno runs after brake in and then I ran the car about 1000 miles changed oil and added the comp cams brake in oil again and then had them cut the filter open and it all looked good then I ran it for about 100 miles little harder doing full throttle blast on highway and some burn outs for some friends and family on the forth and seems when it gets up to temp and at 2500 on the high way I hear upper end rattle and when at idle it sounds fine . it has 391 gears and 4 speed with the overdrive

It's always possible they didn't get a couple adjusted right from the start. Certainly can't hurt to go back and check them now. One other thing to remember is that roller rockers can be a little "rattly" even when adjusted properly.

I've always run hydraulic lifters with a minimum of preload. While it can give you power at maximum rpm's with most setup's, certain combo's can get a little "noisy" at times. If things are running well as is, I'd just tighten the adjusters a 1/8 to 1/4 turn and see if she quiets down some. Just keep in mind that "hot rod" style engines will make more noises vs a stock cruiser.

ok thanks guys I can always count on you all . I will run them this weekend and let you all know how it turns out I will also check side to side to make sure there are enough shims and wile doing that I can check to make sure roller are centered on stems

-
Back