440 Truck Engine 1969

-

bakertodd

Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped with my header/spark plug issue, very helpful. The engine in my `71 Duster is a stock (except for a 750 Holley dominator and aftermarket manifold) externally balanced 440 from a truck. Has an "F" on the plate on the front of the block so I guess it`s 1969 vintage (?). Anyone familiar with this? Is it one of the low compression versions? Low deck hight? Haven`t had it very long, no money spent on it yet and looking into what I can do with it. Would be happy forever w/ 400, 500 max HP out of it. Has a 3:55 rear w/ 8 & 3/4" gear, stock Torqueflite (not sure which model), MT street slicks, mini-tubed rear, 6-point cage. Willing to spend some $$$ on it (heads, cam, ?) if reasonable results can be expected. Will the B&M Flexplate #10237 solve the rear balancing issue? Have a 2500 stall converter ready to go in, def want to replace the stock balanced converter that`s in it - very low stall. Have the stupid weld-on counterweights if I need them...Motor sounds good but def mild. Should I just save up for a new mill? This car mostly for street/show maybe Street Night in Epping NH someday..... Thanks in advance.

The "F" indicates that it is a 1970 motor, and other than having a slightly milder cam than the "Magnum" grind of the HP motors, I would assume that all the other internals are the same. The heads are probably 904's if original, or maybe 452 replacements for the hardened seats. A slightly hotter cam and your converter upgrade should do that motor wonders. Unless it needs a rebuild because of high mileage, or it's tired, I would add some aftermarket upgrades such as your plan and hot dog it until something happens to it, then tear it down and upgrade the internals a bit!! JMO, Geof

By the way, why do you think it's externally balanced?? Does it have a large, somewhat tapered front balancer on it?? Could you show a pic of that?? If so, it could have a later cast crank in it, which would still be good for 600hp, and then you would need the B&M flexplate to use a zero balanced converter!! Geof

The "F" indicates that it is a 1970 motor, and other than having a slightly milder cam than the "Magnum" grind of the HP motors, I would assume that all the other internals are the same. The heads are probably 904's if original, or maybe 452 replacements for the hardened seats. A slightly hotter cam and your converter upgrade should do that motor wonders. Unless it needs a rebuild because of high mileage, or it's tired, I would add some aftermarket upgrades such as your plan and hot dog it until something happens to it, then tear it down and upgrade the internals a bit!! JMO, Geof

By the way, why do you think it's externally balanced?? Does it have a large, somewhat tapered front balancer on it?? Could you show a pic of that?? If so, it could have a later cast crank in it, which would still be good for 600hp, and then you would need the B&M flexplate to use a zero balanced converter!! Geof

Thanks for your help Geof.....There is a balancer on the front of the crank , visible, and I`m quite sure that crank is the stock cast version. Also quite sure that the stock (it`s a dog!) converter is internally balanced. Have an unbalanced 2500 stall converter sitting in my garage but I am open to any recomendations as far as a new unit (3000, 3500 ?) Also willing to go to a hotter rear maybe 3:73, 4:11 or? Want everything to work together but not looking for perfection. Will try to get pics up soon. My kids have always helped me with internet **** but now they`re both in college......

The picture in this article makes it obvious whether you've got a cast of forged crank, assuming that the people who last did the engine installed the correct balancer. Also can't find a listing for a cast 440 crank before 1972 (all forged up till then) which simply could mean that someone stuffed cast guts into a 70 block.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/22.html

you need to verify the balance of the engine either you have a tapered front harmonic balancer (quite big)or a smaller thinner flat model that will help others to help you with your set up

you need to verify the balance of the engine either you have a tapered front harmonic balancer (quite big)or a smaller thinner flat model that will help others to help you with your set up

Thanks, Will look at the balancer and re-post.

If in fact the crank has been replaced with a cast unit, I would also suspect that other internal modifications may have also bee performed. I would be willing to bet that if you find that it has a cast crank, that may indicate that someone had access to a later 440 for parts. That may indicate that it may also have the 452 heads swapped for the hardened seats, which are just a later version of the 904 heads, still a good head.

The crank is definetly going to dictate which style converter you can use unless you buy the B&M flexplate, then the converter can be zero balanced. I would suggest that without verification of things such as the cam spec and compression ratio, and combustion chamber volume and such, that you not go overboard and amp up too much on the converter.

I am going to be changing my converter on my stock 67 440 and am using a TCI Breakaway converter PN#141200. This converter has a stall of 2800rpm, which is right in my range. My motor probably has a little more compression than yours due to the 915 heads, but I would suggest you find something in the 2500-2800 range!! JMO of course, Geof

-
Back