440 vs 360 GO!

-
Thats the real problem, finding one you trust before you waste a bunch of coin lol

Boy ,Do I understand that... If you are willing to learn the " search forums" here, answers a lot of questions you may have. It takes a while, well worth it,in my opinion.

Finding a good machinist starts by trusting small amounts of coin to him first. ;)
If he screws up simple things (and doesn't make them right) you know you don't want to him to do big buck items at all.

I would stick to a 383 or 400 in an A-body Mopar for clearance reasons mainly.
Your 360 has the advantage because of it's smallblock bellhousing boltpattern, you can mount a later Mopar overdrive transmission behind it without having to buy any adapters. Only thing required for this is modding the tunnel.

An overdrive transmission let's you install deeper gears in the rear axle for quicker acceleration.

A 400 engine can easily be stroked to 500+ cubes if would like to later on.
Plenty of aluminium parts available for either/any engine to upgrade them and lose weight at the same time.

440 is the way I went. Unless you want to chop up fender wells there is only two headers thats I know that work. Schumacker mounts is best way to go to unless your good at making your own mounts. I shaved my fire walk so no heater and went with a new brake booster. Engine takes up whole engine day for sure.

440 is the way I went. Unless you want to chop up fender wells there is only two headers thats I know that work. Schumacker mounts is best way to go to unless your good at making your own mounts. I shaved my fire walk so no heater and went with a new brake booster. Engine takes up whole engine day for sure.

what ever u do, if it`s a 440, don`t put raised port heads on it (victors or procomp victors).it really exagerates clearance problems. you have to do about the same things as w/ a hemi , w/ exception of the pass. side fender. spark plugs are a ***** ! no heater motor room at all, I have gone to a small hotrod heater for defrost reasons. but it`s gonna be kick-*** when it`s done!!!!!

I have had a 440 in a D200 truck. A real torque monster. I currently have a 410" SB, no power brakes just front disks, hydraulic cam with Rhoads lifters and 3.23 rear gears, It ran 12.34 at Vegas after drivng it fron Carson City. Estimates are 12.0's at Sac or Bakersfield. I would never go back to a BB. A lot more issues with a BB and a nose heavy car that is a pain to parrallel park. If you have a mind for a BB, go for it. I just think that a properly set up SB will make you happy. Just my 2 cents

Attachments

• 127.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 285
You've already got the small block work with it...nothing better then spanking big blocks:D:D:D

Is it worth the money swapping to a big block? I would imagine for a similar price I could stroke the smallblock....anybody with a preferance of one engine over the other and why?

Unless it's a drag car, forget the big block. Go 408ci small-block.

1994-2003 Magnum 360 bored .020" over, 4" stroke crank, any decent heads, and you have 400+HP without even trying.

Because it will be a nose-heavy, understeering pig. Might as well put a pallet of bricks on the hood.

i have a 400 B just got dynoed at 460hp / 455ft/lb tq
has alum heads/intake/water pump denso alt
manual steering hemi denny kit, manual brakes

car wont be nose heavy. engine weighs the same as an all iron 360

My mostly aluminum 440/512 weighs the same or maybe even less than an iron 360. This is also my 3rd big block A-body. 340's are cute but nothing looks better when you open the hood. Use the proper conversion kit and headers and it fits really well.

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 295
Just wondering where did that master cylinder come from and why did you change the stock one out?

If your 73 is the spool k frame (should be). Buy the schumacher spool mounts for a BB and make your own DC k frame. Youll be able to keep all the upgrades you've made to the front suspension. I had a 440 built. Aluminum heads, intake, and water pump housing it weighed 532 lbs with the engine dolly still attached, guessing it adds 15 lbs. well within a "factory" configured small block weight.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=291697

Just wondering where did that master cylinder come from and why did you change the stock one out?

Looks like an F-body or 80-ish truck part...lighter than the stock MC, probably gives more room for the engine.

That's what I thought it was. Didn't know if he used it because it was better suited for a disk/drum brakes set up or something.

That's what I thought it was. Didn't know if he used it because it was better suited for a disk/drum brakes set up or something.

fiberglass hood-front bumper-aftermarket k frame , way lighter than any small block chrysler ever came out with. no substitute for torque !

There is so much you can do with a great 360. Mine runs a low 11 second street car. I am similar to you in that I like the "look" of a 440 in the bay but other than that, my 360 does everything else the big block can do with much more room.

360 can sound nasty too. Here is vid of my 360.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2g30I5PfgE[/ame]

my 360 does everything else the big block can do with much more room.

You got that right...I always love the look on the guys faces when they come over to my pit space and see it was a SMALL block that just took them out..priceless:D:D:D

Yeah, that's nice...doing it with a station wagon, a Thermoquad, a stock Lean Burn air cleaner, and iron manifolds is even better. :D

There is so much you can do with a great 360. Mine runs a low 11 second street car. I am similar to you in that I like the "look" of a 440 in the bay but other than that, my 360 does everything else the big block can do with much more room.

360 can sound nasty too. Here is vid of my 360.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2g30I5PfgE

That does sound nasty! sorry it has been so long since I responded last, been working a lot and trying to move, ugh. I wouldnt mind keeping the 360 as I wouldnt have to replace my new headers, mounts, intake, etc. I see a lot of guys saying to go with the magnum, is there a benifit to that block over an LA if I stroked it and went with aluminum heads? Again, for now this will remain a street car with a little track use (at some point) lol.

Your 360 has the advantage because of it's smallblock bellhousing boltpattern, you can mount a later Mopar overdrive transmission behind it without having to buy any adapters. Only thing required for this is modding the tunnel.

An overdrive transmission let's you install deeper gears in the rear axle for quicker acceleration.

Gear Vendors overdrive is another option. No tunnel Mods.

I run 4.56's and turn about 2500 rpm at 60mph

440 is the way I went. Unless you want to chop up fender wells there is only two headers I know that work. Schumacker mounts is best way to go to unless your good at making your own mounts.

TTI and Shumacher headers fit with no cutting. If you plan to use conversion mounts locate a 73 and up spool style K.

Because it will be a nose-heavy, understeering pig. Might as well put a pallet of bricks on the hood.

This is the most unintelligent comment I've seen in quite some time. It defies logic, facts, math, science and reason. There are people autocrossing big block a bodies. Drag racing a nose heavy pig doesn't seem to make sense either. Run some numbers on the weight of a big block vs a small block. Now subtract some basic lightweight parts commonly used in a modern engine or car build.

My nose heavy pig short times 1.40's on DOT tires.

To the OP, I've had a sad 6, a 340 and two 440's. At first glance I was going to tell you go small block or just flip a coin. After reading all of your responses I think you'd be best to go with a big block, especially after you mentioned 500hp.

Truth be told, if you know the parts to use it isn't hard to put one of these in an a body and in fact it isn't as tight as you'd expect. Weight is of no concern and as you've already seen some people have a big block combo that weighs less than a SB. Also of honorable mention is mother mopar thought it was a good idea to make quite a few factory big block a bodies.

Yes...when you compare a big block built with expensive, lightweight parts, it starts to look better...as long as you ignore the fact that you can build a SMALL-block with the same lightweight parts! Aluminum heads, 999 trans, manual steering and brakes...take a few pounds right off the nose because you can run a smaller (lighter) radiator.

There is a reason Ehrenberg did not put a 440 in the Green Brick!

What expensive lightweight parts? Even in bone stock trim the SB to BB difference isn't that crazy.

Common parts seen in a modern engine/car build. Heads, intake, headers. Glass hood. Aluminum radiator.

Yes a small block car will always weigh less using the same build parts. Does it matter? No. Power on the other hand is easier to make with a big block. Adding anywhere from 80 to 167 cubic inches makes it much easier to make power. Especially streetable well mannered power.

Jaraxle, have you ever owned a big block abody that was built post year 2000?

-
Back