440 w/weiand roots style supercharger

-

dustdevil

Reaction score
ok plans on building the duster up with a 440 topped with a weiand roots style blower. now wht kind of cam, head work etc etc do i need to do this..i wanna pull up to a import with the sweet whinning sound of the blower to scare the @#$% out of them. lol

Obviously you will need a stout bottom end. A girdle, main studs, aftermarket crank and rods and dished forged pistons. As with any build cylinder heads are important and you should put as much into them as feasable. Blower motors have different needs when it comes to camshafts, try calling compcams (1800-cam-help), they should be able to hook you up. Don't forget the cooling system, either. All of that heat generated will need to be taken care of too.

i hear ya on the cooling system and with suspention..im trying to school myself on this subject, dont know the difference between 6-71 and 8-71 blower? i wil mos def look into eveything else from cam and pistons.

I don't know much about superchargers. But it sounds like a
sweet plan. Would love to see the ricers get the crap scared
out of them. Good luck. Keep us up to date with progress.

duster work.gif

dustdevil said:
dont know the difference between 6-71 and 8-71 blower?

They are what size GMC "Jimmy" Detroit Diesel engine they originally came from.

A 6-71 blower came off of an inline 6 cylinder engine displacing 71cu in per cylinder and an 8-71 came off of an inline 8 cylinder engine displacing 71cu in per cylinder. If you see a V6-71 it would be a V style engine. There are also 53 and 92 series blowers but they really aren't used in performance applications, the 4-71, 6-71 and 8-71 are the most popular. Then there are the monster blowers like 10-71, 12-71 and 14-71.

The Weiand ones are just copies of the originals and never saw life on a "Jimmy".

Chuck

Take it from me, you won't scare the import kids because they're too ignorant to realize what you have. They rev their little 4 cylinder weed whacker engines at me like they're just as bad!
Anyway, like already mentioned, get a custom cam designed for blower use. Also, spend the money and get a pair of carbs designed for YOUR blown engine. I've been down that road of trying to make stock carbs work. I finally spent the coin and got a pair of custom built blower carbs from Quick fuel Technology. Big difference in power and driveability.
Get big tube headers and build the largest diameter exhaust system you can fit under the car.
Don't waste your money rebuilding old factory iron heads, buy a pair of aluminum heads. Indy EZ heads would be a great choice.
Now, I can tell you right off the bat, you're going to have some clearance issues to deal with between the blower belt and your radiator, specifically, you won't have room for an engine driven cooling fan. The easiest solution is to mount a pair of HIGH OUTPUT electric fans in front of the radiator. Not the best solution, tho, because you lose about 20% efficiency when you mount fans in front of the radiator instead of behind it. You'll have to mock everything up and decide what course of action you want to take. You can see on my website what my solution to that problem is.

DusterDave said:
Take it from me, you won't scare the import kids because they're too ignorant to realize what you have. They rev their little 4 cylinder weed whacker engines at me like they're just as bad!
Anyway, like already mentioned, get a custom cam designed for blower use. Also, spend the money and get a pair of carbs designed for YOUR blown engine. I've been down that road of trying to make stock carbs work. I finally spent the coin and got a pair of custom built blower carbs from Quick fuel Technology. Big difference in power and driveability.
Get big tube headers and build the largest diameter exhaust system you can fit under the car.
Don't waste your money rebuilding old factory iron heads, buy a pair of aluminum heads. Indy EZ heads would be a great choice.
Now, I can tell you right off the bat, you're going to have some clearance issues to deal with between the blower belt and your radiator, specifically, you won't have room for an engine driven cooling fan. The easiest solution is to mount a pair of HIGH OUTPUT electric fans in front of the radiator. Not the best solution, tho, because you lose about 20% efficiency when you mount fans in front of the radiator instead of behind it. You'll have to mock everything up and decide what course of action you want to take. You can see on my website what my solution to that problem is.

Man that car is wild.

NICE duster,,,, im guessing thats magnum force coil overs and adapters and A arms,,???

DUST DEVIL,,,, for a mild street driven car,,you do not need to go hog wild,,

BDS says a 440 with 906 heads,,stock will make 600 hp easy,, i was going to go that route,,,but i went with a 340 instead,,,,

the most important things you need to think about is,, pump gas vs race gas,,,,a pair of regular holleys can be redone to run correctly on a blower motor if you have the carbs already,,i had mine redone by a carb/blower shop,,and what a difference,,,

if you find a nice used 6;71 it will be fine on the street on a mild 440,,,but if you buy new go with a 8;71,,make a little more boost easier ,,and run cooler vs the 6;71 depending how much boost you want,,i can make 13 pounds of boost with a 340 and a 6;71 running 6% under drive,,pump gas is only good to 9 ish pounds,,but on the street 9 pounds and im in some ones trunk in traffic,,

if you are on a buget mild can be done,,,and still be funnnnn

there is a book out by tex smith on blower motors,,for the street,,it will steer you in the correct direction,,,about cams,,and blower drive,,,

a pair of factory 906 heads,,with hardened valve seats will be fine on the street,,
also,,,do not use a factory dampner,,get an sfi approved one like a fluid dampener,,you may have to fool around with puleys to get your altenator to line up,,, but it wont be hard,,

i run a motor driven fan in an A body with a 4 row radiator, and a 3 INCH blower belt, so many said it couldnt be done. i stay away from as much electrical stuff as possible,,,,less to worry about if high way driving,,and less stress on the altenator,, and it runs 178 degrees on the high way,,,some time 200 in heavy traffic on a hot day,,,

bds is usually the main blower place people think about,,,but there are a few others,, i had most of my stuff done at dryers in chicago ill,, he is really the guy that started the street blower thing,,back in the late 60;s but it really took off in the 70;s on the street,,he does very little now with street blower stuff,,,

then there is a guy in the north east,,very afforable,,has every thing from parts to complete turn key blower motors,,, ide give this guy a call if your serious and on a budget,,,BDS may not talk on your level if you not fully schooled in this type of thing, AL at BIG ALS TOY BOX WILLL help you out

BDS perfers to cater to racers,,rather then street guys,,, they publish stuff in there catologs before they perfect them,,,then tell you they have taken out what doesnt work in there next issue ,,,trust me ive been down that road with them

try this guy www.bigalstoybox.com good luck

-
Back