440 what am I missing here?

-
The B&M holeshot 2400 is better than stock but not by a whole lot. It will work just fine with the Howard’s cam Garrett suggested, the RPM intake, and the manifolds. As well as your intended purpose for the truck. If you decide you want to race the truck and really make it work a custom converter is money well spent. But not until then.

2400 is like a 440 high stall. That's a lotta cam for a 2400 converter. Why does it have to be a race truck for a custom converter? Street cars IMO benefit much more from a custom converter. With a race car, it's nowhere near as important how tight it is at low RPM.

2400 is like a 440 high stall. That's a lotta cam for a 2400 converter. Why does it have to be a race truck for a custom converter? Street cars IMO benefit much more from a custom converter. With a race car, it's nowhere near as important how tight it is at low RPM.
I kinda agree with you. I just meant that how badly his combo is mis matched now he has bigger fish to fry than worry about his converter. Get the engine combo sorted out for the intended use and his converter will likely be just fine.

I kinda agree with you. I just meant that how badly his combo is mis matched now he has bigger fish to fry than worry about his converter. Get the engine combo sorted out for the intended use and his converter will likely be just fine.

Right....that's why I said work out the timing and then drive it. The truck MIGHT respond favorably after that. Who knows?

Right....that's why I said work out the timing and then drive it. The truck MIGHT respond favorably after that. Who knows?
Yea we’ve all said that. He’s working on it. But we know the cam that’s in it, the compression it has, the gears it has, the intake he’s running, all do not work for what he wants to do with the truck.

Yea we’ve all said that. He’s working on it. But we know the cam that’s in it, the compression it has, the gears it has, the intake he’s running, all do not work for what he wants to do with the truck.

Yeah it's like some of those mismatched builds we've been talkin about we did as kids. lol

Yeah, the bottom end is still going to be a little bit soft in comparison to some cams with an earlier closing event. But it's still going to work good enough with a power range of 2000-6200 rpm. And a converter upgrade will more than take care of it. But with this tire, not going to be a problem. Not that this is a bad tire, just that it's out of it's idea environment here.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...tireModel=Raptor+ZR+A/S&partnum=345WR7RZRASXL

Any updates?
Snow fell put a pause on the project for a moment. Got the cam intake,and gaskets on order though. Maybe a bit before I drive her back over to the shop from storage. Will let ya know when the work is underway. Should only take a day to swap the parts. But don't really want to test it till the salt is back off the roads. Thanks again I will keep in touch. I have however got some work done on the duster. Finished building the driver side header. Gonna start on passenger side next week,and hopefully get the engine bay painted,and the drive train back in before the next customer job pops in.

So spring is finally here. I am still waiting for cam ,and intake. They should be here in a week or two. So hopefully I can let you all know how she works. Thanks for being patient,I am very excited to see the change.

Sorry not much help, but I would really like to se a pic of the big block under the hood.
I have a 46 dodge truck, that I bought a few months ago, and the previous owner said he could not get the flat six running.
I have not tried to get it running yet, but I do have a bunch of big blocks looking for a home.
How much did you have to modify the firewall?

Sorry not much help, but I would really like to se a pic of the big block under the hood.
I have a 46 dodge truck, that I bought a few months ago, and the previous owner said he could not get the flat six running.
I have not tried to get it running yet, but I do have a bunch of big blocks looking for a home.
No firewall mods. Built my own frame, but you could bolt in a k member to original frame I'm sure with some fab and imagination. I will see if I have seen good pics showing what ya need .
2018-09-16 00.44.24.jpg
2018-09-21 21.47.46.jpg
2018-10-05 20.02.55.jpg
wi have to look for pics of engine bay once assembled from above so you can see fitment. If I can't find any I will take some when I get it out for cam swap.

No firewall mods. Built my own frame, but you could bolt in a k member to original frame I'm sure with some fab and imagination. I will see if I have seen good pics showing what ya need .View attachment 1715730302 View attachment 1715730303 View attachment 1715730305wi have to look for pics of engine bay once assembled from above so you can see fitment. If I can't find any I will take some when I get it out for cam swap.
I might just do a build thread on this truck when I have time if that is of interest to anyone have lots of build pics and videos

Parts are not here yet but I did start a build thread in the members restoration forum called 40 440. I will try to move it along but the shop is so busy and the kid is graduating it might not be a constant flow on the thread.

Still waiting on parts. Cam said it should be here around the 20th of June. No word on intake. WTF GET BACK TO WORK GUYS. The world must go on the covid excuses are getting old. I get parts faster than usual from most of my suppliers so the shipping ,and production problems are not because of the pandemic they are because people are lazy, and don't want to go back to work.

I would bump up the timing to the 20 initial and give it a spin around the block. you might be pleasantly surprised. while not ideal, it may spark some life into it. in my experience big blocks like a Lot of timing. most of mine were locked out at 35 ( or more ) with no advance ( as long as it didnt kick back on the starter )

When i order anywhere, I’ll always check availability and estimated ship times. I never let them hold back ordered items.

When i order anywhere, I’ll always check availability and estimated ship times. I never let them hold back ordered items.
Summit shows you whether stuff is available on there site,and when the part will ship. Not their fault. Stuff is bring drop shipped from supplier.

Parts are finally here. Lucky they were not stolen. FedEx left them in front of my bay door in the original red edelbrock box,and a howards cam box on a SUNDAY!
Unfortunately I am buried in customer work,and down to 83 days on the SEMA duster build. I will let ya all know when I get started. Can't wait to finally get it right!

-
Back