440 Won't start syndrome

-
:cheers:***update***:cheers: I was at work so i couldn't be here

my younger brother and father we're trying to get the car started. my brother went to start the car. he turn the ignition switch while my dad was at the front of the engine. the car started but my younger brother was holding the ignition switch. once my father notice he told him to stop holding the switch or he will burn the starter. once he let go it shut off.

At that point my father knew that it had to be an electrical problem. he search and found out that there was not juice in the ballast resistor. he found the wire that sends juice from the Ignition switches "start position" and "run position". once he put two and two together the car started without backfire. thanks for all your help and opinions on what the problem might be.:prayer:

I guess it is almost like what Zanderzone said on post #13.

Sounds like the ballast resistor to me. The car will run with the key turned but shuts off once the ignition switch is released. I have had that problem before. At least its a cheap fix.

thank zanderzone, 67dart273 and everyone, This has been a project for me and been burning my eyes looking in different forums thru the night, asking myself questions and imagining the set up in my head. I now got a few small problems but at least the backfiring has stop which was worrying me the most and i heard the car start.

You know what they say "when you solve one problem another rises"

If you've already replaced the coil, try a different ballast resistor.......I'll bet.......

I did replace ballast resistor with the new one on my 318 dart im working on as well and tested the old one on the 318. both resistors work.

been very busy at work and couldn't get any time to fix my cars. when i do have time i jump from left to right and don't know which one to work on. I'll keep you guys updated

-
Back