45 bucks for wiper blades?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
And that is for the mid grade blades.
They are for my Son’s 99 grand prix. (Nothing special about them)

I about had a heart attack when I tried to buy them at Oreilly. I bought some off Amazon way cheaper and they are holding up well in the foul weather here.

Yeah that sounds about right. They are stupid high.

Last time I bought new ones they were $15 for 20" rain-X brand beam blades.

I've been buying them at thrift stores for $5 and under, and have stockpiled about a dozen sets including one pair of 16" "classic" track design.

Just gotta be sure to check they are actually new.

"Special place" for those who donate worn out, used blades.

I just get refills now. Usually like $3 a piece.

The Advance Auto by my house offers me a 2 year warranty for wiper blades for $2. When I exchange the blade out under warranty, I can purchase an additional 1 year warranty for another $2 each time I warranty them. It pays off after a few sets...

Why I made Ford put new ones on my F150 every 6 month prepaid service appointment and GIVE ME the ones they took off ! Damn near paid for the 5 year program.

I just put Anco contour 21 and 22" wipers on my grand cherokee.. work great in this winter **** and cost $13 each...

Dude! I just went through that for my 2001 ram a couple days ago. They take a 20 inch blade. $50 damn dollars for a set of mid grade. Holy ****. Unbelievable.

I have 2 Durangos that take the same ones as each other. I just got a pile of them from rock auto.
Several years ago when I had my wrangler I had one break on my way home and had to stop at the first place that should have them. Ended up at an o'wrongleys and paid $28 for the only 13" blades they had, Bosch icon's. They were the most expensive ones I have ever bought and they flat out sucked within 3 months

i've had good luck with amazon, but consider the cheapies to just be throwaways after like 6mo

even the good $50 bosch and rainx ones get absolutely hammered by the sun and ozone out here making them crap in about a year.

which is timely with all this rain we're getting now. *grumbles*

A year is all they are really rated to last. I used to be a windshield glass and windshield wiper engineer at Chrysler. It's ~10k miles or about 12 months for the life expectancy, but obviously depends on how much you use them, if they are always dirty when you use them, and if your car is parked inside or outside.

I get almost 4 years from the blades on my Renegade.

In FL where it rains nearly every day for 6 months of the year, and where the humidity is real hard on plastics and rubber.

I believe I've replaced them twice since 2017.

I do cycle them, though.
New blade on driver's side, that blade to pass side.

I get almost 4 years from the blades on my Renegade.

In FL where it rains nearly every day for 6 months of the year, and where the humidity is real hard on plastics and rubber.

I believe I've replaced them twice since 2017.

I do cycle them, though.
New blade on driver's side, that blade to pass side.

Even though I just ordered 2 new ones for my car, I’ll still cycle them like you do.
They last about a year here.

So I went to rock auto and for that same 45 bucks I was able to get the wipers for the Pontiac and my Dart both.
Even with the over 20 shipping.
Thanks.

Over 20 for shipping, shees.
I tend to get part #'s from rock then hit amazon since my business has prime anyway... save that shipping :)

So I went to rock auto and for that same 45 bucks I was able to get the wipers for the Pontiac and my Dart both.
Even with the over 20 shipping.
Thanks.

Over 20 for shipping, shees.
I took my own advice and ordered 3 sets of wipers for my daily driver, $10.99 for shipping to Wisconsin

I was working in auto parts still when they took the refills out of our stores. They were the #1 most returned item by a long long way. People would try to guess and not match them to the car.
Then, the wiper assemblies take up a ton of room compared to their value and no one, and I mean NO ONE buys them from an auto parts store unless it's actively raining outside. Then suddenly the 2 most popular sizes are sold out within 7.291 minutes and the Karens start screaming and crying when they can't get them instantly because somehow their automotive neglect was our fault when it sent their minivan off a cliff.
In addition to that, returns were still always super high because most people are incapable of swapping them without breaking their arms and then insisting that the wipers are designed wrong (no ma'am, that plastic hunk in your hand used to be molded ONTO your arms, a dremel is the wrong tool to swapping wipers). Don't get me started on the oddball imports that DID require specially designed wipers or some oddball 90s trucks with special spoilers attached because the wind otherwise lifts the arms off the glass and never wipes a thing..
I hated working rainy days so much. So, so much.

With all that said, we always joked that for the return rates, the frustration, the problems and the inconsistent demand they ought to just charge $50 per wiper and label them "all sales final", maybe that's what they've actually done now? LOL.

That reminds me, I need a bunch of new wiper blades. I too would be thrilled to find refills because locally they're unobtainium and the new arm assemblies are all made from pot metal or recycled tupperware.

-
Back